Home Buying in Venice>Question Details

Elle, Home Buyer in 06516

I have purchased a brand new home in Venice, Fl. Should I get an independent inspection before I close on it?

Asked by Elle, 06516 Sun Aug 28, 2011

Answers

16
Elle,

Often a client will call and ask me why they should spend the money on a home inspection for a newly built home. After all, shouldn’t a brand new home be perfect? I have two words for those clients: Construction Oversight.

Construction oversights are when in the process of building a home the installation of components or systems are inadvertently left out. A quality home inspection will find construction oversights and then the contractor can take care of them before the close of the real estate transaction.

Common oversights that are often found include incomplete electrical systems, incomplete plumbing, gutters that are incorrectly installed, missing roofing components, fireplaces that are incomplete and many others. The reasons construction oversights occur vary from inadvertent omissions to just plain bad construction practices. The building of a new home is a complex choreography of many subcontractors. Each subcontractor is dependent on everyone doing their jobs in a given time frame. When there are delays the scheduling of the subcontractors quickly becomes a nightmare. Subcontractors may be working on many homes at one time and without careful coordination inadvertent oversights occur. An experienced home inspector will find these problems and help reduce the headaches of the buyer before they purchase the home.

The home inspector also helps you understand your new home and its systems. I like the inspector to show the new home owner where to reset circuit breakers for various systems like the garage or outdoor electrical outlets. I inform the new home owner on what to expect in the first year. For example, it is typical to have a few nail pops here and there as the home settles. And point out areas of the yard where settling may occur and how to prevent drainage issue. He will also offer the service of doing a follow up inspection to find specific issues that the builder should address when servicing the home warranty before it expires.The follow up inspection can save my clients money.

Hiring an experienced home inspector to complete a diligent inspection of your newly constructed home is a wise decision. Be informed about your new home and make a successful transition. A home inspector who works for your best interests will find those oversights that may affect your pocket book and your family’s safety.

I would invite you make sure the inspector is licensed and experienced. Here is an inspector that you might consider. He is highly qualified, professional, and honest.

http://www.accuratehomeinspections1.com/Home_Page.html

LAURA HARRIS
20 Year Broker-Associate
CLUB REALTY
Of 941-366-8390
Cell 941-586-6963
Fx 888-506-2930
3800 S. Tamiami Trl Suite 303
Sarasota, FL 34237
My Web Page http://www.LauraHarrisRealtor.com

To search for properties: http://MyFloridaHomesMLS.com/lauraharrisclubrealty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 28, 2011
I have been a rehabber, remodeler, home builder and real estate agent for many years. In my opinion, a home buyer should NEVER buy a home without an inspection from a WELL QUALIFIED inspector. Shop around and make sure the inspector has a good reputation before you hire him. Without an inspection you never know what hidden problems there may be.

Jack Gillis, M.B.A., J.D. │ Realtor®
Jack Gillis Realty Advisors
United Real Estate, Broker
5430 LBJ Freeway | Suite 280
Dallas, TX 75240
Cell: 214.718.4910
Email: Jack@JackGillisRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 28, 2011
I always recommend a home inspection even with a new home. The cost is minimal compared to the benefits. Congrats on your new home.
Web Reference: http://ocnorth.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 28, 2011
YES!! I've had many buyer clients ask me if they should get an inspection done on a new construction project and the answer is always yes! It's a small amount to pay to have peace of mind.

It's absolutely true that there can be issues with new construction -- particularly in the first year because no one's lived in and worked out the kinks yet. Just because it looks perfect don't mean that it is. Best of luck, Caroline
Yes you should definitely obtain an inspection. I bought a new home, and although the builder did warranty it for one year, there were a few problems that arose within the first year! Best to have as much information as possible when considering purchasing a home.
Definitely Yes! That would be the smart way to go.
Genevieve Ramachandran.
Hi Elle,

Absolutely....please don't neglect this. I know it seems like a new home shouldn't have any problems, but they do. Better to address them up front then try and get them fixed after you move in.

Congratulations on your new home,

Karen
After you have signed a contract and it has been accepted by buyer and seller, you need to schedule a home inspection. Be sure that your contract indicates that the purchase is pending the results of a home inspection.

There are many home inspectors around. You can ask a friend, relative, or your Realtor for recommendations. Also search the Internet for local inspectors. The inspection should be completed by a certified or licensed home inspector. The cost is anywhere from $250 and up depending on the size of the home and the type of inspections performed. Also, plan to pay for this out of your own pocket up front as the buyer.

The purpose of the home inspection is to determine if the home has any potential or existing problems. It also gives you peace of mind knowing if there are any issues before you buy. You should be at the inspection with the inspector. The inspector can show and explain any problems that might be harder if you only received a written report. Most inspections take at least an hour and sometimes longer. In addition to seeing everything first hand with the inspector, you generally receive a written report with photos following the inspection.

What is typically included in an inspection? A home inspector will check the home structure, the water situation, as well as heating and electrical. You should also plan to get a separate termite and wood destroying organisms inspection from a pest control company. This is usually done for free and can be scheduled at the same time as the home inspection.

In Florida some other inspections that are offered are homeowner insurance inspections such as a 4 point insurance inspection, roofing certification inspection, and a wind mitigation inspection. These may have additional costs.

After the inspection is complete you can determine if you still want to go ahead with the purchase of the home. If there are problems that are too costly, then you can terminate the contract. An inspection can save you several thousands of dollars down the road, but again it also gives you peace of mind.
Dear Elle,

You better get one right away. New construction doesn't mean the builder did everything right. And after 11 month you should get a re-inspection. Believe me you will sleep much better. After 26 years experience in the real estate industry I have seen a lot things, even with brand new homes. For further questions feel free to contact me at info@2Sarasota.com or direct 941-356-6580.

Werner Untrieser
Broker Associate
Graduate Realtor Institute
Certified Residential Specialist
info@2Sarasota.com
http://www.WernerUntrieser.com
Hi Elle,

Another great point about a home inspection is that you can learn how the systems work and where things are located such as; water turn off, electrical, irrigation controls, septic tank location and much more.

The best time to get these answers is BEFORE closing....
Dear Elle

This is not a bad idea at all and it is worth every penny you spend on inspection whether you are purchasing a new construction or existing home.

Regards
Tariq Saleem
MNT INTERNATIONAL
Tel: 321 231 2500
ts@tariqsaleem.com
Web Reference: http://tariqsaleem.com
YES. The builder has a vested interest in getting you to close on the property; don't take their word for it that's it's up to snuff. An independent inspector for new construction should cost just a couple of hundred dollars, and it could easily turn up a couple of issues you wouldn't otherwise notice. Be sure to provide photos of the construction process so that the inspector can 'see' behind the walls (a nice benefit you don't get with existing construction).

Alex Krumm
Re/Max Alliance Group
Broker Associate
GRI, Certified Distressed Property Expert
Winner, Five Star® Best In Customer Satisfaction: 2010, 2011

941-234-3597 Direct
941-954-5454 Office
941-341-0192 Fax

alex.krumm@verizon.net
http://www.sarasotapropertygroup.com
Dear Elle,

I think you are smart to get an inspection before you close on any home, even new construction. You may find that the builder will be more cooperative in fixing warrantable items BEFORE closing than curing problems you find AFTER closing.

FYI, in the State of Florida, home inspectors need to be licensed by the State. They should also be licensed by the County and/or City they work in, and they should carry E&O or Liability Insurance.

I suggest you interview at least 3 candidates to see if they have experience in new construction and if they would help you develop a list of "punch list" concerns for your builder, prior to closing. Ask how much they charge and what is included for that fee (do they bring in a team, including an A/C guy and a pest inspector?). Ask if they offer a home warranty program for items that successfully pass inspection. Finally, ask if they offer a Recall Check Service, to make sure you get notified if your appliances are ever recalled by the manufacturer.

I live and work in Venice, so if you need a handful of inspectors to start your interviewing process, just contact me. I only refer out inspectors who have received raving reviews from my own customers.

Thanks, and good luck.
Agreed - though the builder may say "no need", I would definitely recommend you hire a good inspector. New does not mean "right".

Good luck to you!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Absolutely!

I have personal experience with 3 homes that had significant structural defects. Fornutately the defective support beams and incorrect engineering was found before a big hurricane hit or all 3 could have collapsed and possibly killed or seriously injured the occupants!

In all 3 cases the original owner did NOT elect to have an independent inspector when they built their homes.

Here is a good place to find a well experienced inspector:

http://www.Ashi.org

Hope this helps.

Alma
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
Absolutely... even in " New " homes there are mistakes made, things done incorrectly, upgrades that could be considered... as well as a qualified inspector can tell you how to maintain and monitor the systems and home. So Yes, it's a small price to pay as compared to the asset.