Home Buying in Remsenburg>Question Details

Lori Burgess, Home Buyer in Massapequa, NY

I have never heard of Remsenburg, where is it and what can you tell me about the area. Thank you

Asked by Lori Burgess, Massapequa, NY Fri Jan 17, 2014

Answers

5
Remsenburg is a bucolic Hamlet of Southampton Town just west of Westhampton Beach and Westhampton and just east of Eastport.

As early as 1712, meadows in Speonk were leased to cattle-owners from Southampton. Most of the early settlers of Speonk came west from Southampton and Bridgehampton in the 1740s to clear the forests and build farms. During the 1880s, duck farms thrived in Speonk, but few survived past the turn of the century.

The name Speonk was inspired by a Native American word meaning high place. An 1897 Long Island Rail Road catalog listed Speonk, noting that that name "certainly sounds like the call of a frog." Some residents pressed to change the name to Remsenburg, to honor a prominent resident, Charles Remsen, who had donated a new Presbyterian Church. Today, both names remain in use, each covering different areas of the community. The area close to the bay is called Remsenburg, and the more bucolic inland area is still called Speonk.

During the twentieth century, its most famous resident was the English writer, P.G. Wodehouse. He wrote many of the escapades of Bertie Wooster and his manservant, Jeeves, from a home on Basket Neck Lane in Remsenburg. Other residents of note include: songwriter Frank Loesser, who wrote for Broadway shows including Guys and Dolls; the playwright, Guy Bolton, who collaborated with Wodehouse on Anything Goes; and Dave Garroway, the original host of NBC's Today Show when it first aired in January, 1952. Remsenburg is an exclusive area of the Town of Southampton .. many well known actress/actors/playwrights/directors live in this hamlet of Southampton.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 18, 2014
Remsenburg is an incredible Hamlet, is the First Hampton in the renown Hamptons' of eastern Long Island, in township of Southampton just West of Westhampton Beach. Great schools, great people and peaceful with amazing charm and character. Within a most convenient locale as to proximity from NYC of all the Hamptons, Remsenburg offers low taxes and a real value and much upside as an investment. I am not only a top agent in the area but also am the largest land owner so while my opinion may seem bias my investment is backing my opinion and I would love to share more with you in email or by phone.

Best Regards

Lawrence
LC@fhirny.com
6318720280
In case you weren't aware Google Maps are a wonderful thing for pinpointing locations; If unfamiliar with area, why entertain what other people think or say, another's opinion may not be anywhere near the best thing for you, therefore research the area on your own; consider visiting more than once and at different times of day; possibly chat with locals/neighbors, check out whatever is of interest to you, etc., then determine if your comfort level can be reached; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://remsenburg.longisland.com/
Hi Lori: Remsenburg is indeed in Suffolk County. It is located on the South Shore of Long Island on Moriches Bay and is between East Moriches and Westhampton. There are currently 44 listings with an average listing price of $1,831,705. Are you interested in that area? I work all over Long Island.
Remsenburg is in Rockland County.
Eastern Long Island, Suffolk county township of Southampton - I live here
Flag Sun Mar 15, 2015
It is in Suffolk County on Long Island.
Flag Sat Jan 18, 2014
I thought it was Suffolk county?
Flag Fri Jan 17, 2014