Home Buying in Devon>Question Details

Donke, Home Buyer in Quakertown, PA

I have major concerns about buying a stucco house. Is this a genuine concern? How can I know if a house with stucco should be avoided?

Asked by Donke, Quakertown, PA Sun Jan 27, 2013

Answers

7
Really stucco only last 15-20 years? If so, that is news to me. Unless youre talking about EFIS/dryvit. "real" stucco is like brick mortar and didnt think stucco had the problems of synthetic stucco, dryvit or EFIS. Real stucco has vent holes to allow moisture in the walls just like brick does with those wicks sticking out the bottom of a brick wall. To collect humidity in those cords and exit the space in the walls. Dryvit is a sealed system, meaning if a caulkline fails water gets back there and sits and rots and molds. You must keep up with the caulk on a dryvit house, real stucco collects and vents moisture
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013
I'm with you John, stucco only lasts 15-20 years? I grew up in an area with a LOT of homes built in the 1920's using stucco. They all still had their original stucco. That's 80+ years to me. As John said. Dryvit is a completely different thing. The question becomes is it Dryvit or stucco? Knowing how old they home is may give an indication. Nothing wrong with original stucco to me. At one point a lot of contractors were using Dryvit and it seems they were not installing it correctly. The end result was not only mold, but the interior sheathing started to rot through. Make sure you have it inspected prior to purchase.

Donald Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
2008 Realtor of the Year
Douglas Elliman Real Estate

http://www.nyhomeseller.com
Donke,
When purchasing a house you would want to get an home inspection. Your home inspector will able to tell you if there is an issue with the stucco. Additionally, you can elect to have a stucco inspection completed by a specialist.
Stucco only last 15 to 20 years. You might want to build in a capital improvement fund if you purchase a house with stucco. That way when it comes time to replace it you will have the funds.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Kevin R. Toll Realtor®
Long and Foster Real Estate, Inc
92 Lancaster Avenue
Devon, PA 19333
Cell 610-609-1096
Office 610-975-3500
Fax 610-975-0216
Email: kevin.toll@longandfoster.com
Website: http://www.kevintollrealestate.com
You absolutely NEED a stucco inspection if buying a home with any stucco. Improper building, improper thicknesses and improper window installations are just some of the causes of stucco issues. These repairs can be very costly and may not be covered by insurance policies if you purchase without. Email me directly for a list of inspectors that specialize in stucco.
Emily Landis Torres
REMAX Central
Direct:267-640-2327
Office: 215-362-2260
Emily@emilyshomeinfo.com
Web Reference: http://Emilyshomeinfo.com
Stucco lasts about 15 to 20 years;
How long you planning on owning the house?
Using a home inspector with knowledge of stucco issues is the best way to assure yourself whether a home should be avoided or not.
Real stucco better than EFIS synthetic stucco often named DRYVIT. Real stucco is distinctive and does last. Drvit needs to be maintained and tough to sell to a relo buyer with a company sponsored move..