Frank / Rose…, Home Buyer in Glendale, CA

I have just rented a house. Found out the kitchen was without an oven. It has a new stove top. Can I request landlord to provide an oven?

Asked by Frank / Rose Obien, Glendale, CA Sat Sep 28, 2013

Answers

4
You can request anything, whether or not the Landlord will oblige is another thing. He/She is under no obligation to do so.
Camelia Vera is Right!!!
She work at Coldwell Banker George Realty in case you are looking for a great Agent!
You can ask for anything you want. Whether you are going to get it or not is another matter. Presumably you viewed the unit before renting it - how come you didn't notice. Camelia's advice to look at your agreement is a good place to start.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
Hi Frank and Rose,
Having been a landlord I share my experience with how to take action. This is not legal advice since I am not an attorney.

Have you read your contract to see what it says? It could be disclosed in the contract. If it doesn't say anything about the lack of an oven, then I would definitely talk to the owner. Explain to them that this is essential to you and that this was not disclosed to you prior to your signing the rental agreement. Then listen carefully to what they say. Let them do all the talking so that you can see whether they will accomodate your request. From my experience, it is best to be non-confrontational about this, just factual. You do not want to say anything about further action, because frankly every situation is different and you don't know if you are entitled to one based on your contract or the law. Perhaps your unit can't accomodate one. So be nice.

After that, you will know whether you need to take any further action. If they agree, then there is no further action that needs to be taken. And I would thank them. If they do not agree, then you can seek the advice of an expert in Landlord/Tenant relations (attorney, your City, etc) to find out if there is any more action that can be taken. Best wishes.

Remember, this is NOT legal advice, this is based on my experience.