Home Buying in Antioch>Question Details

Marian Jimen…, Home Buyer in Pleasant Hill, CA

I have been involved for 20 years with a Man that is legal seprated. I want to buy a home. He wants to be put on the deed.

Asked by Marian Jimenez, Pleasant Hill, CA Fri May 4, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


In two words......................................Be careful!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 8, 2012
You're welcome, Marian.....

Your attorney will give you the information you need. At least this gets you started to protect yourself and your interests.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
Thank You for all of the information.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
Oh, dear....

Better consult with an attorney.

If that guy is legally separated but not divorced, there are all kinds of situations that may not bode well for you, especially in a community state (married couples).

If you put him on the deed -- does that mean his wife can lay claim on the property too?

If you're taking out a loan, is he going to be on the loan application?

If he buys property as a married man, won't he need to get his wife to do a quit claim deed on that property?

How will you take title -- as joint tenants or tenants in common? If you pass away, entire property goes to him due to right of survivorship. So your heirs are left out. If you do joint tenants, your respective heirs get your respective parts of the property when either one of you passes away.

This is not the best place to get the answer to your dilemma. Get thee to a lawyer, post haste!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer