Rocky, Home Buyer in 81623

I have been dealing with a buying agent to find a home to purchase. However, I have decided on a new build

Asked by Rocky, 81623 Mon Aug 24, 2009

that she did not help me find, and I'm not in need of her assistance through the rest of the process. We don't have a written agreement between us. I feel if I give her a nice gift in thanks for the houses we've viewed and the time she's spent, that's appropriate. What's your opinion?

Answers

5
Rocky-
You are not obligated to work with this agent legally since there is no written agreement. I would say however, ethically you do "owe" this agent a commission. Your agent likely showed you resale homes because that is what you told him/her that you wanted. When you changed your mind and decided on a new build, you could have shared that info with them and they would have assisted you with your home purchase. Please keep in mind tht this is precisely when you need an agent the most...right now you are working with the builder who is ONLY interested in their best interest ...not yours! I recommend that you tell the builder that you want tyour agent to be part of the deal or you are "out". Proptect yourself.
Kimberly Ryan
Keller Williams Realty Success
303-523-8333
http://www.BuyDenver.net
Web Reference: http://www.BuyDenver.net
Would you have been up to speed on the market without her efforts? Did she introduce you to homes in the neighborhood, show you areas you didn't know about before? Did she send you updates, introduce you to lenders, help you in forming the final decision you did make. I think it is short sighted of buyers who use realtor services and then "find" the house of their dreams on their own. What about all the work she did? She ought to sue you for unjust enrichment. Why not bring her into the deal and use her? Why not make sure she is taken care of? Why not buy the house through her?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 2, 2011
No obligation on your part seems to be in order. A letter or small token of your appreication will help soften the Agents "sails"(no pun intended! Best of Luck
What you owe the agent is not relevant. What you owe yourself is. Representation especially in today's building environment is very important and the new home sale is very important to have someone who knows the process. The builder is represented by the subdivision agent and make no mistake she is there to protect your builder. Although they become your best friend they DO NOT protect you. You need good advice every step of the way and although you think you are in good hands you are no. Keep your agent and let her earn her commission by protecting you during the building process!
It's nice of you thinking of your agent and willing to give her a gift. Knowing that agent invest time and money when they're working with home buyers, I think they should have a written agreement with the client. The situation they wouldn't want to find themselves in is your current situation, but it does happen.
I think you should ask yourself what you have learned during the time your agent assisted you, if you are a better educated buyer, and if you know more about houses and the Real Estate process than the day you first met with your agent, and that should determine the nature of the "GIFT" you're thinking to give her.