Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

Robert, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

I have accepted a job in the 28273 zip code. I would like advice on neighboorhoods and schools within a 30 minute commute.

Asked by Robert, Charlotte, NC Thu Aug 9, 2012

I am going to relocate from another southern city and wanted to get advice on neighborhoods and schools. My wife is a "stay at go" mom and we have 9 and 7 year olds in gifted programs at their current schools. We would like the kids to be in a public school, we like outdoor activities (scouts and sports), we like neighborhoods away from the center of the city. We are looking at houses in the $300k to $400k range. Thanks in advance for your help!

Answers

9
Good afternoon, Robert:
The good thing is that there you have many options within 30 minutes of the Steele Creek area. Here is a link http://goo.gl/YWoho to a list of about 200 homes built since 1990 that have 4 Bedrooms 3 baths 2500+ s.f. within about 30 minutes of the center of the zip code. Assuming you are moving fairly soon, I suggest you stay away from short sales, which can take a lot of time to get approved. Areas will include homes in Mecklenburg, Union, Gaston Counties in NC and York and Lancaster counties in SC, but the time of day you will be commuting could also affect the acceptable number of miles from work. If you are required to live in NC, we can also narrow this list.

You definitely should research schools and explore some of the public Charter and Magnet School options in the area, many of which are very good. I suggest the Trulia blog "Which areas surrounding Charlotte would be a nice place to relocate?" (link below) Personal preferences will then factor in, like whether a golf or country club or lake or equestrian lifestyle are important, whether you like older or newer, country or planned community. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. ... if you appreciate this answer, please give it a "thumbs up", or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a "best answer" click .
Robert,

I relocated here form Connecticut seven years ago with my wife and four school age children. I did a lot of research on the area and schools before I chose the home I am in now.

To answer some of your questions. My children attend the public school system in Charlotte. I have currently children in elementary, middle and high school. I am very pleased with the public school system. There is a program that the school system offers called a magnet school program for when your children reach certain ages (middle school and high school). The magnet program is a special program you have to apply for that allows your gifted children to attend schools outside of their area becuase of their abilities in certain academic areas. Now, not everyone can get in them and even though your children may be perfect candidates for the program there is no guarantee they will get in. however; it is an option available to you.

The other thing I would do is look at http://www.ncreportcards.org. I found this webiste to be invaluable in gathering information about the different schools and how they compare to other schools in the charlotte school system and against the region and the state. it allowed me to compare everything from how the school performs to how the school rates against other schools. All in an unbiased mathematical format. Another website that helps with parent reviews of schools is http://www.greatschools.org. This is a little more opinionated based on personal experinces of parents of children who attended the schools. So the sample is a little smaller and may not give a true picture. However; it is a great source as well.

Looking into neighborhoods that offer what you are looking for opens a wide array of options for you. because of where you are going to be working you have the option of staying in the South charlotte area, which offers everything you are looking for to going over the state line to south Carolina into Fort Mill area.

You probably would be overwhelmed with the choices that you have out there. I have sold homes in all those areas and live in the South chalrotte area; thus know it well. I woudl advise you to contact a couple of Realtors and talk to them about what you want in a house, get a little more in depth on your needs and find a Realtor that works best for you. Then you and that Realtor can work together to find the right home for you.

I would love the opportunity to help you out and answer any questions you may have and help you locate the right area and neighborhood for you and your family. Please feel free to give me a call at 704-519-7895 or e-mail me back at ddicecco@cbunited.com

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
http://www.davedicecco.com
Hi Robert!

Congratulations on your decision to move to Charlotte, it is an exciting city with lots to offer. In my opinion the best place for you to start would be to choose a school district you think would fit your children's need best. If you were to look at all homes that fit your "criteria" within 30min of 28273 you will probably become overwhelmed with the amount of homes available. If you plan to stick with the public schools, south Charlotte has some great options. Myers Park, Providence, Weddington, and Audrey Kell are all well respected schools. If you would like more information you can check out http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/. The latter three are along the south border of Charlotte and I-485, homes in these areas will generally have bigger lots, more green space, and will be close to many outdoor activities. In whichever school district or location you choose though, you will have plenty of homes to choose from. If you would like to contact me directly we can discuss what specifically you are looking for in a home, and what activities you and your family enjoy doing. This will help to narrow down the best options for you and your family. Feel free to call me at your convenience, my phone is always at my side. I look forward to speaking with you.

Michael Laine
cell- 704.619.3971
email- michael.laine@prucarolinas.com
You might want to look just outside your 28273 area for homes in your price range. You're more likely to find homes in the $200K range there. Moving farther south to 28277 or 28226 might put you more in your price range. The communities there are Ballantyne (from $200k to $4M), Piper Glen, Carmel South and many others. Ballantyne is a sort of city within a city (you never have to leave the area unless you work outside of it). I hear the schools are great. I don't have school aged children anymore. I can't speak about that. The only bad thing about living in 28277 or 28226 and working in 28273 is I-485. It is not of God. Once you get home - it's worth it though. I'm a native Charlottean! If there is anything I can do to make your transition a smooth one, I'm here for you!!! Yes, I even know where the natives eat.

Montressa Barbee
#877320
Barrons Home Mortgage
Congratulations on your job. I actually live in South Charlotte and have an 8 year old going into 3rd grade. I am very familiar with the children's actiivities in the South Charlotte area and can direct you. Give me a call and let's talk neighborhoods.

Abby Nelson
704-890-1860
abbynelson@bellsouth.net
Robert I will be happy to set you up on a property gateway. This is an automated property email service that sends you the most up to date information for homes meeting your criteria. It is a free and no obligation service and provides you a wealth of information on the housing market. Feel free to call email or text garymccoy@kw.com 7046403001 if you would like an email gateway setup for you. As to the commute thirty minutes gives you a very large radius of neighborhoods to choose from.
Depending on your "style" of home and preferred neighborhood style, I'd recommend Ballantyne, Myers Park and Dilworth areas. Again...contact me directly!

My services for buyers don't cost anything extra and I love helping people get a good deal.

John Siddons
John.Siddons@prucarolinas.com
Hi Robert,

I would suggest the Union County and Ballantyne area which would not be too far from your 28273 zip code. Visit my website and look at some of the school links. I would be happy to discuss the different areas with you.
Hi Robert!

I would love to help you with your relocation! Email me directly at John.Siddons@prucarolinas.com or call me at 704-458-1843

Speaking with you a bit further will give me a better idea of your style and pinpointing the exact area and neighborhoods that may meet your needs best.

I keep my phone on my 24/7 so call anytime!

John Siddons
704-458-1843
John.Siddons@prucarolinas.com
http://www.johnsiddons.com