Home Buying in Brooklyn>Question Details

Austin Yorko, Home Buyer in Washington, DC

I have a signed contract to purchase a home and the entire process is being held up by the inability to inspect the property.

Asked by Austin Yorko, Washington, DC Tue Feb 25, 2014

Apparently the pipes underneath the house are frozen making the de- winteriztation process impossible and nothing is being done to remedy the situation, my mortgage lender is now telling me if the problem is not alleviated in a timely manner we will be assessed a fee to hold our rates. My real estate agent is not being helpful at all and if im forced to pay a $600 fee from my lender as well as another $800 rent payment it will be a significant financial blow to this process. Is there anyone i can contact directly to get things rolling on needed repairs? Would i be best suited changing realtors?

Answers

1
Austin,
I doubt your agent, assuming you're not using the listing agent, can do much. The house has a weather related issue that must be addressed. You could offer to pay some of the cost to thaw the pipes and proceed with your inspection, if that's cheaper than the alternative.
You could threaten to walk on the deal if you have a legitimate escape built into your contract.
Locking a rate is always for a set time period and extending a lock costs money. You can request the seller bear that cost if you can't proceed quickly with a back-up threat to leave the transaction if they don't. There are things you can try, I just don't know if any will be successful.
Your agent should be dealing with the listing agent and demanding they do their job to get the house sold. Apart from that, I'm not sure what else you can do.
In California, there is a contract stipulation for the seller to have the utilities on so you may reasonably inspect the property. Time to review your contract/agreement and seek advice from an attorney. Good luck.
Flag Wed Feb 26, 2014