Drew Mccurdy, Home Buyer in East End, Portland, ME

I have a pre approval letter and i'm being told i have to submit that pre approval letter with any offers is that right?

Asked by Drew Mccurdy, East End, Portland, ME Tue May 13, 2014

Answers

13
I always ask if a buyer has a pre-approval letter. When the seller is my client, I am working in their best interest to provide them with one from the potential buyer. If there is no pre-approval how are you to know that the purchaser can really afford the home?

If I have a buyer that is a customer, I want to know if they are truly serious about purchasing a home. We don't get paid until a home closes, so why waste precious time and gas with buyers who are really just lookers.
It's always a good idea to be in a position of strength and showing that you did your due diligence by becoming pre-approved is always a good thing but it's just a start. Your offer, and terms are an important part of the equation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 15, 2014
Not all sellers may request, but is a great idea to submit it with any offer. If the seller is requesting it than it is a must, otherwise your offer may not even be looked at.
Hello Drew,

You are correct. Sellers don't want to consider offers unless the buyer is somewhat qualified.

I say "somewhat" since not all mortgage pre-approval letters hold water, however, they give the sellers peace-of-mind that they are working with a serious buyer who probably has the means to purchase the property.

John Meyers, Meyers Realty - Chicago
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 15, 2014
Well, especially if your agent says there may be other offers, it is a good idea. Out here in California, I always check with the seller's agent to see if there are other offers coming in, and then you are in the best position to compete if you have a strong downpayment and pre-approval letter. Especially if you are going to offer less than asking price, all the more reason to show how serious you are.
That is completely normal for seller's agent to ask to see copy of pre-approval letter or proof of funds with any offer. If you submit a offer without a pre-approval letter that just shows a red flag.
You do NOT need to, but it certainly is a good idea. You do not need to provide proof of what you are "able" to purchase, only that you qualify for the amount of your "bid"
Yes, it is an important part of the equation because it is telling the sellers that you've done some homework and a professional mortgage person is saying your credit is good, etc. It is a necessary first step.
When submitting an offer, It is quite typical for sellers to request documentation that a buyer is qualified to purchase a home (proof of funds for cash buyers and preapproval for buyers getting a mortgage). I have seen some sellers that require a potential buyer talk to their PREFERRED lender to get another preapproval.
a lot of deals fall apart due to finance issues, sellers are trying to avoid wasting their time with an unqualified buyer.
your agent should have explained this to you....
Hi Drew,

Every purchase contract you are writing has to be qualified by using your pre-approval. Without it, there is no way for the buyer's agent to determine if you will be able to close or not. Your pre-approval should be issued within the last 90 days and preferably from a Direct Lender with No condition except an appraisal.

Some sellers are picky about the lender and might also require a Desktop Underwriting which basically means your lender has gone through your employment, asset and other verification and is ready to fund your loan as soon as they get the appraisal.
Hi Drew,

Yes, the sellers will want to see a copy of your pre-approval letter. They may even ask to see your asset documentation to prove that you have sufficient funds to close.

Best wishes,

Elva A. Wormley
Mortgage Consultant
Cell: (408) 569-3512
Office: (408) 615-8500
C2 Financial Corporation
2845 Moorpark Avenue, Suite 209
San Jose, CA 95128
Yes, that's right. When you want to buy a home the best place to start is to hire an EXCLUSIVE Buyer Agent, not just a Buyer's Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. I can refer you to an EBA in your area, if you like.

I've written a best selling book called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a home and get a mortgage without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.HelpUBuyAmerica.com
Sellers may request that you provide a pre approval letter that let's them know you are serious and have the funds to purchase the home.