michel_ford1, Renter in San Jose, CA

I have a lease till end of august, Owner want to sell it, do I have to vacate the place if seller ask?

Asked by michel_ford1, San Jose, CA Mon Apr 28, 2014

I been at this house for 5 years now, owner decided to sell this place and he offered me to buy it, I can not buy it, what are my rights?

Answers

2
To best protect your rights, you should consult with a real estate attorney to see what your best options are and to see what your rights are. There are many government agencies and non-profit organizations who offer free advice to people regarding landlord-tenant matters in Santa Clara County, such as Project Sentinel or the Fair Housing Law Project, who specialize in evictions, etc. but also have expertise regarding home loans, leases/rental contracts.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf

The above link gives you your rights. Everything will depend on what your lease states. If your lease expires end of August, and you have been honoring your lease, you should have the right to stay there until the end of your lease.

It sounds like your landlord wants to work with you and give you an opportunity to buy. If you can not afford to buy the home then you could ask if he would be willing to buy you out of the remaining portion of your lease. This may help you get into another lease and allow him to get the home on the market sooner.

My advice to you is to not damage your credit by holding over beyond the end of your lease.

Have you looked into the possibility of purchasing another lower priced property?