Home Buying in Bushwick>Question Details

Keith Grey, Home Owner in Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY

I have a 203k Loan that the contractor started work before permit.

Asked by Keith Grey, Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY Fri Sep 7, 2012

What if my contractor told me "we should start work on the house the permit will only be a few weeks to get so i'll start now so we can be done quick". The permit has now been held up for months because of the city and the work is about 50% done. He has stop working till we get the permit now. Since i didn't realize it was a issue but now i do who is at fault? His attitude and work ethic has changed and i wish to let him go and get a new contractor is this possible this late in the stages or did he lock me in by starting early. Can he take legal action against me if decide to release him when he has already done 50% of the work without a permit?

Help the community by answering this question:


Trevor Curran’s answer
Good morning Keith,

You should consult immediately with your Attorney. This is a legal matter.

With regards to the 203k program and switching contractors, you should consult with your Lender, but in general it is very difficult to change contractors once you have closed on a 203k loan.

NMLS #40140
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
185 Great Neck Rd, Suite 240
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
When it comes to any necessary legal advice, it's always in one's best interest to consult with an attorney.....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Anyone can take legal action but can he win. In any court he will lose because he started work before he had the legal authority to do so. It is very clear he did something illegal and no court will allow him to receive any additional funds. I am sure there is something missing here that you are not saying, nor do you need to in this forum.

You decision to release him when he has done 50% of the work is not an issue, since he is being released because he illegally performed work without a permit and you are an upstanding law abiding citizen who does not want to be a part of any criminal act. (That's what you tell the court).

This can be a minor or major issue based upon how it is handled and the reaction of the contractor. Call me to discuss. 914-299-0420. Call me at anytime. It is never too early or too late to discuss your business.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
In these here parts; the Contractor is responsible for getting the darn thing.
I don't know how they do it there;
but it looks like you just got hoodwinked.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer