Home Buying in 92807>Question Details

Moonlarry55, Home Buyer in Anaheim, CA

I have a home in my name in ga. i live in sc.can i put it in sisterinlaw name in my will.she have been paying the mortgage for eight years?

Asked by Moonlarry55, Anaheim, CA Sun Dec 30, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Yes you can add your sister in law to your will, Yoy should speak to a Will and Trust Attorney to find out the best way to do that.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 2, 2013
You can put anyone in your will. It would be best to talk with an attorney to make sure all is done correctly. You could ask about putting your sister inlaw on the deed The attorney can help you and advise you what is best to do and how to do it. Good luck

Ingrid Ski Realtor
South Orange County
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 31, 2012
If you have a mortgage on it, you could if the mortgage was assumable and the bank agrees to it. Otherwise you could add her to the deed but the loan stays in your name. Their are risks involved and were it is pof legal nature, asking a local attormey to review it may be best.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2012
Might be a wise idea to contact an attorney and do it the right and legal way the first time!

You should see the legal battles and conflicts after the inheritance etc... as the prior 'paperwork' was not done properly and is questionable..

You might want to talk to a Trust and estate attorney. Theye can talk to you about saving on taxes and avoiding probates etc as well...

If you just do a will.. than the estate may thave to thur probate etc (which will then cost way more than the attorney and legal fees!)

Good Luck.
Mike Patel
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2012
You could also do a Quitclaim Deed & add her to the title now, so you & her are both on the title now & then include language in your will to leave the home to her 100%. Ask a Real Estate lawyer too.

Shoot me an email directly if you'd like to talk about this further, I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

Emily S. Knell
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
Short Sale Specialist - 100% success rate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2012
it is best to talk to a lawyer that knows estates and wills and the best way to do tbings to minimize the taxes to the person you leave your property to.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2012
You can leave the property (via the will) to anyone you like and they will receive any equity in it that you have. If she has been paying the mortgage for 8 years, it seems only fair to me to leave it to her.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer