Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

dwdonita1, Home Owner in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have a hobby Room structure that is permitted (including bathroom) I would like to rent it out to my son but want separate utlities.

Asked by dwdonita1, Sherman Oaks, CA Mon Aug 26, 2013

mY Lot size is 7800. How can I get a permit?

Help the community by answering this question:


You would need to go the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety and also the Los Angeles Planning Department to see if this is possible.

It would all depend on what the zoning is for your property. If it is R1, most likely, they will not let you get a separate electric and/or gas meter. Water is one meter per property.

You can also check with LA DWP, which if your property is located in Sherman Oaks/City of Los Angeles, you would have DWP.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 28, 2013
Call a contractor, you get one from the city, but if you don't know call a contractor.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 27, 2013
Separate meters will cost a fortune and may not be available if the space isn't legally habitable. Why not apportion the Hobby Room and your Main House - if your Main House is 1,000 SF and the Hobby Room is 500 SF, charge him 1/3 of the total utility bill. If you have a sense of the average overall utility costs, you could also build this into the rent and avoiding doing math at the end of every month.

Hope this helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 26, 2013
Even if you could get separate water and electric meters, which I highly doubt because it is not a separate unit. You will never make your money back. Installing separate meters will cost thousands if not tens of thousands. Look into sub-metering. You install your own meters and know exactly how much that part of the home is using. Condos and multi-family homes do it all of the time.

J.R. Thrasher
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 26, 2013
JR it is a separate unit with a 3/4 bath but permitted as a "hobby room" even though it has it's own circuit breakers. Where can I get my own meter? Just knowing exactly how much is being used would help
Flag Wed Aug 28, 2013
the unit is separate but on my permits it shows permitted as a separate unit for a hobby room. The previous owners had a tailoring business and used this unit (in the back of my of my home) I have never heard of installing "my own meter" to determine the usage. Where can I get my own meter?? The unit has it's own circuit breakers. although the unit is separate, is it still very pricey to separate?
Flag Tue Aug 27, 2013

I think you should check with utility companies. Subject maybe showing as single family home and not units. I am not an expert but single family homes are entitled to one meter per home. Check with utility companies for clarification.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 26, 2013
Not sure what your "Hobby room" is permitted as but if it actually a permitted guest house, then you can do as the person below suggested and check with the Building & Planning Dept. as well as contact your utility departments (DWP?) about if you can place separate water and gas/electricity meters. It may not be worth the cost for a short term option. Generally, what people do is add roughly $100 to the rent - assuming your charging rent as well as depending upon its square footage.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 26, 2013
I don't know that you will be allowed to do this legally. Check with your local building/planning department.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 26, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer