stephenk, Home Owner in Washington, DC

I have a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom condo. I am thinking about putting a walk in shower in place of the tub.

Asked by stephenk, Washington, DC Sun Mar 24, 2013

The condo is fairly new construction but the tub that is currently in place is nothing special at all. I was thinking about either just installing a bathroom stall with the tub that is currently there, or tearing everything out and putting in a nice walk in shower. My concern is what the walk in shower would do to resale value. This is not the sort of unit that someone will be purchasing with children. It is a rather small one bedroom that will have either one adult, or at the very most two adults living in it.

Adriano Gomes’ answer
Hi Stephank,

Resale value is not going to be affected by the lack of tub. It will play a role on how attractive your place will look to potential buyers. My advice to you is to keep the tub and say no to tub sliding doors. A shower rod with an attractive curtain is a sure way to get a much better bang for your buck and still have a bathroom that looks great and fresh.

I have done dozens of bathroom renovations. From complete rehab to just a few simple changes to make the space more attractive. If you need a hand, please let me know. I will be happy to assist.

Good luck on your project.

Adriano Gomes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 25, 2013
While most people don't use tubs anymore, I have had several clients recently express disappointment when they face no option for having one. While a lack of tub might not affect your value per se in an appraisal, it does affect your options for resale. If there were a 2nd bath with a tub I'd say go for it but in your case I'd say keep the tub. You never know when you'd have the perfect spot for someone who'd rule it out except for the lack of a tub.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 24, 2013
If you replace the tub with a shower only, you will lose a portion of the buying pool when it comes back to sell. There is a portion of the population -- no one knows how large -- that is comprised of "soakers." Without a place to laze in the bath after a long hard day, they will move on to the next property.
I had the same issue. I opted to keep the tub but replaced the tile on the walls with marble and installed a frameless glass door -

It looks really nice and friends have loved it....
You need to make yourself happy but if there won't be a tub at all...not room for separate tub and shower or tub in another bath you are best served by keeping the tub. If you think you might reno again before selling, then make it your own and go back to a tub later. People take showers but usually complain if there's not a tub.
In my experience, although most people take showers for expedience, about 1/3 of the women I have worked with over the years love a tub soak. They say Ann Landers wrote her column in the tub. If your building accepts dogs your next owner will want to wash his basset hound. If you are prepared to preclude 15-20% of your potential buyers, go ahead. My advice: replace the tub with one that has character, or resurface the existing tub and/or paint and re-tile. Amy Fisher, VP. Realty Group Inc. 39 years experience in the DC Market.
Think about your plans for this unit. If you think you will live there for years and years and years, do what pleases you. If resale is top of mind for you, keep the tub.
It is smart to consider what you want to do for the unit. If you are more focused on selling it then using it yourself, resale value is something to keep in mind. Having a bath tub can be nice, but an upgraded shower is a nice accommodation. I think that a new shower can go a long way and is probably easier to clean.
Flag Mon Jan 5, 2015
In my opinion, having only a shower will limit your resale audience. Even people without kids may want a tub available from time to time, to wash a dog or a large item, or soak after a hard workout, etc.
Also, consider long and hard before you install the stall type of shower (the sliding door) on your existing tub. In my experience, this is one of the first things buyers want to get rid of.
Great. What part of NW? Dupont Circle,Shaw,Columbia Heights?
Web Reference: http://www.GetDCsold.com
Hi Stephenk, it is true that some clients require or desire a tub.
The condo is in Northwest DC
Where is this condo at in DC?
Web Reference: http://www.GetDCsold.com