KB24_8, Home Buyer in Lancaster, CA

I have a 401K plan from my previous employer but no longer working for that company. My question is that I would like to take a loan against my 401K

Asked by KB24_8, Lancaster, CA Sun Jun 27, 2010

plan as to a new home buyer. It's my 401K so it would be a loan not a hardship loan for a down payment on a new house. How much can I take out? Is there any penalties? Thanks for all the help!

Answers

4
If you no longer are employed by the company you can not take out a "LOAN" on your 401K

Loans made agaisnt 401K plans are repaid over time through payroll deductions. In fact, if you take out a loan on your 401 while employed , then quit the job the loan becomes due and paybale by you in full.

You may be able to do a "WITHDRAWL" from your 401 to buy a home, but before you do talk to your tax professional to make sure you do not run into trouble.

Best of Luck!
Kawain Payne, Realtor
Depending on your plan penalties may apply--your best source of information is your tax professional and or plan administrator.
Karen's right. I recommend calling your 401K company representative.

John J Mondello Jr, Realtor
Keller Williams
(225) 329-8119
"I find the house, you make it home."
All plans are different. This isn't really a real estate question. You need to contact the manager of the plan. If you don't have their contact information, you will need to contact your previous employer.

This is a common way for buyers to get a down payment. Most plans do not require "hardship" for a loan. You will need to repay yourself with interest.

Best of Luck,

Karen Miller
(562)756-4144