KB24_8, Home Buyer in Lancaster, CA

I have a 401K plan from my previous employer but no longer working for that company. My question is that I would like to take a loan against my 401K

Asked by KB24_8, Lancaster, CA Sun Jun 27, 2010

plan as to a new home buyer. It's my 401K so it would be a loan not a hardship loan for a down payment on a new house. How much can I take out? Is there any penalties? Thanks for all the help!

Answers

5
There are guidelines that the administrator has for each program keep in mind that there is a limited amaount of thime before you will have to transfer those funds without incuring a penality from the IRS.
Also when you do a loan against the 401K it will be counted as part of the total DTI (Debt To Income).

Yes there are ways to structure the loan. Let me look at the complete picture then i will show you the most beneficial way structure your mortgage.

BUYING A HOME

Start the process right 1st by talking to a Licensed Mortgage Professional to determine who much home you can afford and whether you are credit wordy and is there an ability to repay the loan.

The Mortgage Professional will give you a conditional approval letter to take to the realtor.

Once the realtor has found your home you should get it inspected to determine if it’s structurally safe (have the realtor recommend one locally) and be sure to ask your realtor to negotiate a home warranty paid by the seller.

Now is the time to determine and negotiate you rate and terms with the Loan Officer who is responsible to order an appraisal that you will be responsible to pay for prior to the arrival of the appraiser.

You’re Mortgage Professional / Loan Officer will be responsible to guide you the rest of the process and should not take more than 30 days.

DURING THIS PERIOD DO NOT TAKE ON ANY ADDITIONAL DEBT UNTIL THE LOAN IS CLOSED AS YOU WILL BE DENIED THE LOAN.

Wherever you're located in this nation, you can trust you're working with a reputable mortgage banker - not a fly-by-night operation. Here's why.

Bank of England is partners with every major investor on Wall Street; allowing us to provide the best rates and terms on all mortgages.

We are approved by the Better Business Bureau and Bank of England /ENG Lending is the only mortgage bank among its competitors that is owned by a FDIC insured bank and did not need government bailout to remain solvent.

Bank of England loan officers don't simply facilitate the loan process; they act as "financial advisors," helping clients assess their finances on a larger scale. Whether you're self-employed and need a low-doc mortgage loan, or you're searching for the best rates on a jumbo home loan, your loan officer is here to find your perfect solution.

Get the facts about home mortgages from the experts at ENG Lending. Learn about different types of home mortgage loans and what to expect during the mortgage application process. Plus, find information about the current mortgage market and which mortgage myths you should never believe.
Let ENG's experienced Mortgage Bankers help you find a solution for your financial needs. My name is Lowell contact me at (972) 646-2411 so we can discuss your situation in private. Benefit from my 21 years of experience answering the most common mortgage questions.

Lowell Sterling
Loan Officer
NMLS# 968898
LSterling@englending.com
16800 N. Dallas Pkwy, Suite 290 | Dallas, TX 75248
Office: 972-646-2411 | Cell: 214-418-7022 | Fax: 214-614-4637
Bank of England /dba ENG Lending: NMLS# 418481
If you no longer are employed by the company you can not take out a "LOAN" on your 401K

Loans made agaisnt 401K plans are repaid over time through payroll deductions. In fact, if you take out a loan on your 401 while employed , then quit the job the loan becomes due and paybale by you in full.

You may be able to do a "WITHDRAWL" from your 401 to buy a home, but before you do talk to your tax professional to make sure you do not run into trouble.

Best of Luck!
Kawain Payne, Realtor
Depending on your plan penalties may apply--your best source of information is your tax professional and or plan administrator.
Karen's right. I recommend calling your 401K company representative.

John J Mondello Jr, Realtor
Keller Williams
(225) 329-8119
"I find the house, you make it home."
All plans are different. This isn't really a real estate question. You need to contact the manager of the plan. If you don't have their contact information, you will need to contact your previous employer.

This is a common way for buyers to get a down payment. Most plans do not require "hardship" for a loan. You will need to repay yourself with interest.

Best of Luck,

Karen Miller
(562)756-4144