Home Buying in Wesley Chapel>Question Details

Glenn Thomas, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I haev been looking into moving to the Land o lakes - Wesley chapel Florida area

Asked by Glenn Thomas, Atlanta, GA Fri Mar 21, 2008

Definitely sticker shock when it comes to property taxes. Question #1: How do homeowers make ends meet paying $7,000 to $9,000 for a typcal $400K home ? - its almost mortgage payment in itself. I also see the term CDD and it seems ot be common Florida. Loks like the developers get off scott free in this sceneraio and just pass all the costs off to the homeowners and is another tax on top of the school and propoerty tax. Its also looks like there is no accountability for the funds the developer uses. Meaning the developer can be wasteful and no competitve bidding for the work to be performed with the Bond money. Developer does not care, it s not his money and is just going to pass it on to the homewpner with higher CDD fees. Question #2. When paying CDD's is there any break for the homewoner on the regular school and property taxes or is this a pure add to the $7,000 to $9,000 the homeowner will be paying ?

Answers

6
I am amazed at what you can find on the internet these days Glenn you are of course Glenn Thomas from Lancashire in the UK the same one who left the company Magenta Group with all its difficulties and lost a great deal of money for investors that you had well its obvious where all the money went looking at very nice houses in these areas then - remember this the world is a very small place so don't for one moment think you can just get away with it.
Glenn, your are basically correct with the builder "passing all costs to homeowner" but it does help buyers get in to a comminity with much more to offer, while keeping the upfront costs more affordable. Here is a link that will explain, in a little more detail, of what a CDD is, http://www.buyandselltampa.com/What_is_a_CDD/page_1772337.html

Also, check out this link, that is for a home in Land O Lakes, with no CDD and very low HOA, http://www.buyandselltampa.com/Land_O_Lakes/Florida/Homes/34…
You won't be dissappointed with this home, and we won;t hit the $400k mark, but you will get some awesome features included.
Hi Glenn,

One of the realtors may already have answered this, but, most often, the CDD fees are built into the property taxes already. I own a home in Land O Lakes and, although our property tax bill was about $7000 last year, about $3000 of that was the CDD fees for my community. The actual property taxes were about $4000. Does that make sense?

It is important to consider that CDD fees, though certainly a cost factor, keep the community in the condition it should be. I live at the award-winning Wilderness Lake Preserve, one of the most beautiful and unique communities in LOL, and our CDD fees are hard at work. Our community facilities are unlike any others that I have seen in other parts of Pasco county and even surrounding areas. We chose WLP for it's character. We moved here in 2005 and built our house from dirt.

In fact, my husband and I would like to sell our home (it's perfect, just a bit big for us with one child) and STAY at Wilderness b/c we love it so much. In today's market, we will be listing it soon for just under $400K, an extremely competitive price for the area. In fact, identical houses to ours sold just two years ago for $600K. The home itself and the enormous lot it sits on should hold water even in the tough market.

I only mention that so that one may consider that the community is just as important as the house itself.

And, of course, if you would like to find out more about our home...PLEASE don't hesitate to contact me. If we don't arrange a private sale, we will be listing it with our realtor within the next 60 days.

Dawn Dneaster
blessed_event@yahoo.com
Hi Glenn,
The CDD and property tax are a hard pill to swallow. However not all communities have the CDD and HOA fees. Some of the newer developments do have the CDD and HOAs plus you taxes. The one thing we don't have in Florida is State income Tax and Florida law makers are making some changes to the property tax laws and it is improving.
The upside of the CDD & Hoa communities is that the property values seem to hold steady even during a slow market. These communities offer weight gyms, tennis courts, community pools ECT... Seller are also making some concession on closing cost, paying down the interest rates that will off set the CDD fees over the term of the loan. if your CDD fees are lets say are $100.00 per month and the seller pays down your interest rate by .007 you will save over $100.00 per month net. I'll do the math for you.
$400000 loan amount at 6.7% annual interest rate = $26800 yealy / 12 month= $2233 monthly payment interest only.
$400000.00 loan amount @ 6.0% annual interest rate=$24000/12 month = $2000.00 per month interest only payments. a difference of $233.00 per month
Right now there are some awesome deals in that price range and the sellers are willing to do just about anything to get their homes sold. It's a perfect window of opportunity to snag some great deals. If you are planning to move to the Tampa Bay area in the near furture I would love the opportunity to assist you in finding the right home at the right price in the right community for you.
You can reach me directly on my cell phone @ 813-340-6938 or email me your deam home criteria and I'll be happy to conduct a search for you.

Happy Dream Home Hunting,

Tony Gonzalez, MBA
Real Estate Consultant
Keller Williams Tampa Properties
Email: TOny.Gonzalez@kw.com
We recently moved from Wesley Chapel due to job relocation and still have a $350,000+ home there. Our taxes were never above the $5000's. The Homestead exemption will help some. You can't get away from the CDD's or HOA fees. If the community you are looking in has either you'll have to foot the bill above and beyond the mortgage and taxes. If you're lucky the community you pick will only have the HOA fees and inlcude trash, pool and common area maintenance in the fee. Our house is going up for sale soon and i know of several nice and not so nice communities in the area if you need any further help deciding on ones to look at.
Glenn, both of those cities have some wonderful communities. To answer your question about the taxes - there is no break if you choose to live in a community with CDD fees. These fees are added to your yearly tax bill and paid at that time. Typically the CDD fees last 20+ years and stay with the property. You are paying for the amenities for that particular development so the fees vary.
Our taxes did rise significantly with the rise in property values from 2000-20005. However, I have seen some areas that recently have had a reduction in the milleage rate and also in the individual homeowners property value. That will lower the taxes accordingly and while it may not be extensive, every little bit helps.
We have recently voted on a tax amendment that is trying to help out in future benefits to owner occupants in Florida.
If you need any additional information please feel free to email me. I am a full time professional agent and have sold in the area for over 15 years.