Vicki Tapp, Home Buyer in Milwaukee, WI

I had an FHA inspection fail for peeling paint on the garage. Lender states work needed to be done by a Lead Based Certified painter. Is this True?

Asked by Vicki Tapp, Milwaukee, WI Fri May 18, 2012

Answers

8
I have crackled paint in garage does this mean its lead paint, not thinking as I was painting with dry lok I saw some sections that the paint was chipped or crackled does this mean it is lead paint
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2014
What they are probably referring to is the new law the EPA has called the Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) rule. It requires that work done on pre-78 homes are to follow the new rules to prevent lead dust contamination. Unless you test the surface and prove there is no lead you have to follow the rule. The newer the house is the slimmer the chances of having lead in the paint. So on a home in the 70's you might want to test if the added cost of following the rule is high. If it's 20 square feet or less on the exterior your exempt from the rule. http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm
It is true. There are very specific ways that lead paiint must be removed to prevent harm to the homeowners and the neighboring sites.

Lead paint is a leading cause of death in young children, but will and can affect adults as well.
I have never heard of a "Lead Based Certified painter". I'm assuming they are asking that the work be done by a certified abatement company. I've never encountered this myself, but if the lender is specific on what they want then you must comply to get their $$$.

I would call and talk to them about it. It may be that you have an inexperienced person who wrote that. Where does it "state" that, on the appraisal????

I do know that FHA is extremely picky about peeling paint. Make sure whomever you hire to do the job removes every speck of chips from the ground and disposes of them properly. Anything that is left on the ground from the scraping could also stop the closing. Crazy but true.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012
My first question is, was the garage built after 1978? If it was, then no problem. Otherwise, get a new lender.
Vicki,

If you are a first time buyer you may want to look into Landmark Credit Union...they were offering a first time buyer program with 3% down (similar to FHA) but none of the FHA headaches.

I had a recent purchase undergo the same peeling paint issue. We did not have to use a certified painter...that must be specific to your lender.
It would have depended on your lender. All you should have needed to do was scrape away the peeling paint and paint over it. The appraiser should be able to go back out and report that it has been completed if it has. If your lender requires that the work be completed by someone who is lead abatement certified then that's what you have to do to get the loan.

Your appraisal should have stated that there was peeling paint it would not state how it needed to be corrected.

It may be possible to switch lenders.
Your Lender may require anything that want:
You may refuse,
You may get another Lender,
The Bank is just protecting you and themselves.

Was the house built before 1978?
Vicki Tapp, Home Buyer, Milwaukee, WI
Yes it was built before 1978. But in the FHA appraisal, it should have listed that stipulation. I did the painting myself. So now, how am I suppose to meet the guideline of their request? Nothing I can do about this?
Flag Fri May 18, 2012