Rachael, Other/Just Looking in 91606

I found a townhome in Sylmar that I really like, but I just started looking and am not ready to buy yet.

Asked by Rachael, 91606 Mon Apr 21, 2008

Howcan I find out more about the complex, like if there are other units like it? Also, how can I find out more about HOA fees, what they include, etc.?

Answers

6
Call a local Realtor. Ask your friends, family and co-workers if they can refer you to someone that they have used and been happy with. The Realtor will know what the HOA fees are and what they cover. If they don't they will know who to ask. The Realtor can also show you other units in the complex. If you have not yet been qualified for a loan the Realtor will have a referral for you. Make sure you do this so if you want to make an offer on one of the units you have all your ducks in a row. You will also learn what your maximum purchase price is so that you do not waste your nor your Realtors time looking at units you can not afford. Make sure you know what your payment will be with your HOA fees, taxes and insurance (if needed) included. Make sure you understand what your down payment and closing costs will be. Walk around the complex a bit and talk to some of the people who live there. Go by the complex a few times at different hours and days to see what evenings and weekends are like. As far as waiting for the market to hit bottom....no one knows when that will be. We could be in the bottom right now. The one thing is that interest rates are low and if the rates start going up your payment will too. The biggest drops have all ready happened in the Inland Empire and we are starting to see prices stabilize. Sales have also risen this last month. It is certainly better to buy close to the bottom or at the bottom than when the prices start going up which is where we could be. No one knows what the bottom is or when it will be here so if you are looking to quit throwing your money away on rent now is the time to buy. Prices are low, interest rates are low, there is a lot of inventory to choose from.... now is the time to make the investment.
I currently have several active listings and sell homes in Sylmar and all of San Fernando Valley and I can answer your specific questions regarding HOA fees, other units like the one you found, etc. Do call me at 818-825-6996 for detailed answers. You may also visit my website to find out more information about your choice property. Go to http://www.BogunEnterprises.com.
It's best to contact a Realtor who is active in the area that you're considering buying in, since they will be familiar with the HOA fees, rules and amenities.

Generally, the MLS listings for your area, which is part of SoCalMLS, will include the monthly HOA fees as well as what those fees will include. However, not all Realtors will fill in these fields completely for each home. If you look at listings for homes in this complex, you should be able to find one that gives you a good idea of the HOA fees and the amenities and services that they will include.

Remember that all real estate is local, so advice from out-of-area Realtors as to whether to buy or sell may not apply in your situation.
Hi Rachel,

If I were you I'd get in touch with a local Realtor. It's always a good idea to interview 3 & decide who you are most comfortable working with. Why don't you give Melanie a call? Do you know anyone who's bought or sold property recently in your area? If so, ask how they liked their agent.

A good realtor will be able to answer all your questions.

Karen Miller
DON"T BUY YET. Wait for the market to bottom out. Prices in Sylmar went up way to fast and way too quickly.

Don’t buy in Sylmar until the "Adjustable Rate Mortgage" meltdown has ended.

To learn more, click on the link to our site. Or look for LA Home Search on your favorite search engine.
Web Reference: http://www.LAHomeSearch.com
Hi Rachel-
The best way to get the information that you are asking for is to contact a real estate agent in the area who is familiar with the area and the various HOAs. I live in Sylmar and have information on many of the different HOAs in the area. Feel free to contact me with your questions.