Home Buying in Naples>Question Details

John, Home Buyer in Fort Myers, FL

I found a small parcel in Naples that interests me, but the listing indicates "No D.E.P." How does this affect a cash sale ? Thanks in advance.

Asked by John, Fort Myers, FL Wed Dec 26, 2012

Love the neighborhood and want to build my dream home there....

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3097820802--Coral-Wood-Dr-Nap…

Answers

12
Hello John,

The DEP does not affect your cash sale at all.

Logan Woods is a great area I live on the adjacent street.

It is prudent to get a DEP (approximately $300). Make it an inspection contingency in the contract/offer. Quickly view the parcel to decide to go further by walking the land and see if there are visual signs of wetlands i.e. many cypress trees or evidence of standing water.

Kind Regards, Kevin

Kevin Rathburn, Realtor
239-269-4575 Direct Line
KRnaples@gmail.com

KevinRathburn.com Integrity-Diligence-Innovation
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 26, 2012
Thanks, Kevin - just the info I needed. Perhaps we'll be neighbors soon.

John
http http://:www.gulfcoastimagery.com
Flag Wed Dec 26, 2012
Hello John, You will not need to have a DEP Report to perform the purchase. You will need the DEP report once you are ready to build on the property. It would be helpful to have a DEP Report when you are placing your offer or to get one done during your inspection period so that you do not get any surprises later. If the property turns out to be all Uplands (no wetlands), that is wonderful, but if it has some wetland areas, it would be helpful if you knew this upfront.My in-laws built a home close to this area (had a small amount of wetlands in the back of the property which was easily avoided since they do not even use the back of the property)! But again, it is helpful to know upfront, so you can plan accordingly! It gets more complicated if the whole property is wetlands.
Vivian Ferreira, Naples Realtor
239-777-4731
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 26, 2012
Always a good idea, but not a requirement to close a sale. You will perhaphas have to mitigate the portion of the property where you will build and that will depend on the uplands on the site.
Steve Bacardi Broker/Managing Member Premier Realty Homes of SW Florida, LLC. 239-272-2387
Dear John,

As you know now from other Associates, the D.E.P. has to be done before purchase to make sure you are not getting a property that's not buildable.

Please remember there are foreclosures out there, that are priced lower than a home you would have to start from scratch....here is a link, that's getting updated as new listings hit the market:

http://Naplesinflorida.com/foreclosures

Dimitri Schwarz
Premiere Plus Realty
239.992.9119
http://Naplesinflorida.com
Hi John,
No environmental report has been done on this property, meaning that it has not been evaluated for wetland status. This is required in order to build on the land.
Your offer can be contingent upon a wetland evaluation and allows you to cancel if it is heavily wetlands. Costs to remediate can be huge.
I have sold many acres in Golden Gate Estates and have a licensed professional who does in depth reports, more accurate than the D.E.P reports which are more of a thumbnail, not a comprehensive analysis of the three components and and accurate survey.. One was determined to be inaccurate by my inspector.
You are welcome to contact me for more information.

Yours,
Mary Horesco
Downing-Frye Realty, Inc.
"Voted #1 by Naples Daily News Readers 10 Years in a Row"
Web Reference: http://www.maryhoresco.com
Hello John,
A DEP study will tell you how much, if any of the lot is suitable for building. When you are buying in Golden Gate Estates, you are buying good ole Florida swamp land.
Any type of transaction, (these days most lots sell to cash buyers) should require a DEP study from a serious buyer to determine the suitability to build on the land prior to completing a purchase transaction. The other test typically done on a lot would include a percolation test to be sure there is a suitable water supply source from the ground to put a well on the property. That is if the new house is not going to have access to connect to the County Utility water source. Prior to closing you would want a survey and flood elevation certificate to show the elevation for the lot to a builder to estimate for fill and whether it will come from the back of the lot, etc.

The most important thing a buyer can do is first of all work with a buyer broker. As stated by AARP & The Consumer Federation of America from REALTOR® NEWS

Beverly Howe, ABR, GRI, TRC, CIPS
Buyer Broker - Owner
Florida Buyer Broker
Email: broker@floridabuyerbroker.com
239-601-2013 Local Direct
800-283-7393 Toll Free US and Canada
DEP relates to Dept. of Evniromental Protection; which has a number of requirements such as 'perk'tests. So the cost is not impacted by the DEP, however, you need to determine if it is a buildable lot at your expense. KathyBC..809-448-3411 ext 601...(12/26)
Hi John,

I see that you have already received the answers in regards to your question about the DEP. I would like to speak with you in regards to the building of your dream home. Please contact us so that we can discuss all of your options. I am looking forward to speaking with you.

Thank You,
Jimmy Armstrong
The April and Jimmy Team
Realty Direct Naples
239-877-3194
aprilandjimmy@realtydirect.com
I am not quite sure of D.E.P. meaning, but the parcel can be bought for cash or finance by purchaser. Being certified Florida Builder I can also quote you a price to build your dream home and give you some helpful guidance in design.
Roger Fine'
John,

No D.E.P. does not affect your cash sale. It means that the present owner did not get an enviromental study on the lot when he bought it. If you are going to build on the lot it is good to have one to make sure that you do not have wetland on the property and can build on it.

I have been a Realtor in Naples for the past 27 years and very familiar with the area where you want to buy.

You can reach me at hugnelson@comcast.net or by phone at 239-641-7692.

Huguette Nelson
Prudential Florida Realty
hugnelson@comcast.net
It means there has been no enviromental study on the porperty and this is a must to make sure you can build and the restrictions. Give me a call and I can help you since I am a buyer's agent.

Scott Riddle PA ABR SFR
239-289-1849
http://www.esteronapleshomesearch.com
Thanks, ma'am....but linking to your own web site doesn't really answer my question : ) Happy Holidays !
Flag Wed Dec 26, 2012