Home Buying in Palmer>Question Details

Brent, Home Buyer in Eagle River, AK

I don't see what benefit an agent is to me on this particular deal. There really isn't anything to negotiate and I am not interested other

Asked by Brent, Eagle River, AK Tue Nov 17, 2009

property. part of an estate. The property is offered "as is" with no waranty or disclosure. The buyer is to pay all closing costs other than realtor fee and title insurance. The asking price is only 75,000. The listing agent has done nothing for me. Should I get a buyers agent (not much for them to do), or ask the listing agent to kick in 750 toward closing costs? I just can't see what benefit an agent is to me on this particular deal. There really isn't much to negotiate and I am not interested in any other house.

Answers

5
FOUR YEARS OLD!!!
Wonder if he regretted it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 6, 2013
I live in Anchorage after moving from Southeast Alaska. Move here. I encourage it. Alaska is wonderful and the people the best.

I would suggest renting in Wasilla. Find a little place and hunker down for the winter until you get a feel for the land, the weather extremes, economics, and meet some locals. Check out what is available by asking around, driving and visiting the areas of interest BEFORE you buy anything online without seeing it, What if you buy on a flood area or off road that needs serious plowing, etc. If you want to live off the grid, it can be done. However, you are going to want a well and a good septic system.

Come ready for the season. Summers are wonderful, but short. Winters are long....but have their own special beauty. There is work. A person has to be willing to just work when they get here with whatever comes their way.

If this has been a dream for you both, just do it. Just sell your stuff, and go for it. Drive the beautiful Al-Can and enjoy the road trip. Just do it.

Palmer-Wasilla area has great soil for gardening. I am not sure what you are interested in, but you stated 200 acres. It is here, but deciding where you want to buy with a look into the near future, well, you need to be here so you don't waster your money.

Teresa - Alaska
Hi Brent,

I'm just wondering why would you question yourself about using A Buyers agent and be represented when the seller is paying the commission?
I'm not sure about Alaska real estate laws but you should be able to represent yourself. In that event remember, buyer beware applies. Agents have a duty to disclose all "known" material facts regarding a property but they also have a duty of loyalty to their client. Anything you reveal to the listing agent; such as your feeling there is nothing to negotiate is given to the seller. As far as the commission you can try to offer less but the seller and the agent do have a contract that spells out the circumstances under which a commission is earned and there is usually no obligation on the agent to accept less if there is an unrepresented buyer.
Well do you feel comfortable going through the whole process yourself?

Are you positive you are getting it at the right price? Can you handle getting financing? You still going to do an inspection even though its as is?

If you really feel you dont need one then dont use one. But the seller is paying the commission regardless and knowing you got the home at the right price and having a smooth transaction is not a bad thing.

Sean Dawes
Web Reference: http://www.SeanDawes.com