Home Buying in Half Moon Bay>Question Details

phyllis.mcna…, Home Buyer in San Mateo, CA

I do not understand why only the cost of the home is listed. What about the other costs, like rent on the land, etc.?

Asked by phyllis.mcnall, San Mateo, CA Wed Sep 12, 2012

Answers

5
Dear Phyllis
For 50 years i have been selling real estate in california and have never listed a home without the property also included in the listing price.
a bank will never make a loan on a property with out the land being included and not leased.

The reason is that the owner of the land could call the lease at any time and the banks security would most likely be in trouble.

the only property you might find a property with a land lease would be a large comm property which would have controls in the lease that would control what is put on the property such as a large hotel, but you won,'t find a land lease on a home because a bank won't make a loan
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
Can you give us a specific example so we can give you a specific answer?
Hello Phyllis,

Maybe you are referring to a home in a mobile home park. The rent/lease for the space is usually listed in the detail, but not always. Please let me know if that is what you are questioning, I'd be happy to help you further, if needed.

Karen Tobin
Broker
650 743-7636
Hi Phyllis,
When a Seller lists their property for sale they disclose all the details (known to them) necessary so you can have a clear picture of what you are buying. Most homes sold in this country are sold with both Land and Improvements(buildings). Land can be purchased separately and an Owner can then petition the City in which the land is located for a Building Permit.

Let's use 1 of the homes I just sold as an example. Cottage Grove was listed for $529,000. and ended up selling for $551,000, $22,000 over the asking price. In order for the Buyer to purchase the property they needed $551,000 plus Closing Costs. Many things affect your closing costs like Lender Fees, Escrow and Title Fees, Taxes, HOA fees and so on. Total cost to purchase Cottage Grove? Contact me and I'll tell you the whole story.

Michael Kaprielian
Phyllis, are you referring to leas hold properties? Most properties here are fee simple and there are no rents on the land. The only ones I can think of off hand are at Martins Beach. I would have to agree that those are not always clearly posted in the mls. I get calls on them all the time and have to let people know that they didn't find the deal of the century, ie ocean front property in our area for $150k :)

If you are referring to other costs that I didn't address please clarify. Thanks, Glen