Home Buying in Barnegat>Question Details

Thomas Simmo…, Home Buyer in Shelburne Falls, MA

I do NOT want to live in a town with Nanny Govt (grass length laws, etc). What mid-coast town can you recommend with a laissez-faire attitude?

Asked by Thomas Simmons, Shelburne Falls, MA Mon Oct 14, 2013

Answers

3
Annette Lawrence’s answer
Thomas,
Such towns are easy to spot. All you need to do is head down any county road. When you spot the community with the junk cars scattered about like we see on the 'American Pickers" show, used tires for sale, callasping tool sheds, outside dog houses with dogs on a chain, barbwire fences, cars parked on front yard, gravel driveways, every post is decorated with "No Tresspassing" signs, and a burn pile in the back yard....you have found your town! Most residents will be unfamiliar with 'Laissez-faire' but will be advocates of 'Leave me alone!" And isn't that what you are looking for, a place where folks are not into each others business?
-
Now, you are aware, your second, inevitable question will be invalid. That question is, "Is this a safe neightborhood?" The answer to that question is directly related to populaton density. How far do you want to drive?
Good One Annette
Flag Sat Mar 7, 2015
Look for a red sate, sounds like to me. Texas? Mid-coast town, with a premium for being close to ocean, that doesn;t care how properties are kept? Hmmmm. Have not seen that as a home search criteria. I wonder where that will be.
Flag Thu Oct 17, 2013
You are kidding right? Even if there is no "law" it's called property maintenance and pride in ownership, (and sometimes a health department issue).
Why not just pick a town where you want to live and buy a condo or town home. They do all that nanny state bothersome stuff like mowing, exterior painting etc.
Oh wait, then there'd be HOA rules you'd have to follow and they're worse than the government.
I agree with Marc... no where
Like none. And after what your state has done, setting precedents and models for the federal government to follow in collectivising all of us, I am surprised you would even ask such a quesstion. Grass length laws are the least of our problems.