Home Buying in Merrick>Question Details

Janet, Home Buyer in New York, NY

I'd like to purchase a home in Merrick, no higher then 500,000. However it's unlikely that I'll find

Asked by Janet, New York, NY Sat Jul 19, 2008

something really nice at this town in that range. Are the towns nicer or better than merrick that have nice homes in that price range? Are westbury,levittown,bellmore,
massapequa,hicksville,seaford, and east meadow as nice?

Answers

8
Bellmore is nice. levittown doesn't compare and i think seaford is nice as well.
Merrick is expensive though it is a desireable area with great schools and great location - to highway- malls- beach. a lot. Not just trying to sell, but i do have a home for sale by owner. It's 5 bedrooms and great value for the money. It's 540,000 but it's quite negotiable. take a look- it's on zillow.com and also the website. http://www.1689oldmillroad.blogspot.com.
I'm not a realtor, so I can talk freely about most of these areas.

Merrick is a great area, very residential, great schools - just be prepared to pay the taxes that go with this combination. Bellmore is a nice area just like Merrick is. You can't go too wrong with either place.

East Meadow is pretty good too, especially if you look in Barnum Woods.

Seaford? I grew up in Seaford - I don't recommend Seaford at ALL. NO commercial tax base, it's not a friendly area, and it's way too homogenous in every way (conservative politics, race, and religion).

Westbury is touchy - parts of it are really nice and more expensive, but other parts are close to New Cassel.

Levittown will have a lot of capes with no basements. The schools are pretty good - try to go for Island Trees if you can, because the taxes are about $1000 less. For 500K you can get a great home in Levittown.

Hicksville has great low taxes (with all of the commercial activity) but again, the high school is a little rough, and you have to be careful about which part of Hicksville you're in. Some of Hicksville is close to Plainview and Syosset, and it's a nice area. Some of Hicksville though, is in a not-as-good area.

With up to 500K, you do have a lot of options. Almost too many lol!
If I could not find a home I liked for $XX in a town I would like to live in--which I must consider pretty nice, or I wouldn't want to live there--what would be my chances of finding a home for the same price in a town that was "nicer or better"?
Hi Janet.
please provide your email and I a bit more information and I will send the details

Henry
917-497-0729
Janet,
As part of one of the top teams for Prudential Douglas Elliman(14 years!)We are THE experts in the neighborhoods you are looking in-We specialize in the Merrick's And Bellmore's and have agents that work all the areas you are looking in-Prudential is all over! Due to conditions in the marketplace it is a great time for a buyer like yourself to get a value in the neighborhoods that were traditionally higher priced-we have a lot of inventory in the $400,000 range that would probably fit your needs.The particular area you will be looking in needs to be narrowed down until you exhaust all your options-Your not camparing apples to apples!Merrick and Bellmore are truly sister towns and Im sure we can find you something great!Let me know what we can do to help you find your dream home!Give me a call or email-A member of my team is always available!
Janet,

There's A TON of real estate for sale. I mean A TON. Did I say there's A TON? lol

34,000 = the approximate number of homes on the market between Queens Suffolk and Nassau.

In terms of commenting on a neighborhood - which Realtors are not supposed to do - you must drive the streets - everyone has different tastes - and trust me on that point. I've shown homes that weren't my taste, but the buyer I'm working with love it!!!

I can drive a neighborhood and think to myself - "Wow there's three boarded up homes on the street" and the buyer will say "Wow, I love this block."

To each his/her own. There's plenty of homes on the market and unless you're looking for new construction with all the bells and whistles, in that range in Merrick, you will find something really nice.
Web Reference: http://www.tommcgiveron.com
By law, Realtors are not permitted to comment on neighborhoods or school districts.

Even though a home is listed higher, if you look for "short sales," it is expected the house will go for the best offer. There are lots out there.

Contact me offline at Gail@GailGladstone.com and I will set you up with a complimentary account on Listing Book that will allow you to set up an automated search and change it at any time you desire. It brings the available matching properties to your desktop each morning.

This service does not require you to obligate to any particular Realtor at this time; you can choose the Realtor of your choice to represent you when you find something and are ready to get started.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
Hi, Janet,

I am a real estate sales person for ReMax, Hearthstone..
We are located on Merrick Road in Bellmore.
We have great visibility and a state-of-the-art office, live help via our receptionist
7 days a week from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

I can offer my services to you. I am a Certified Buyer's Broker which means
I can represent you and guide you so you will find a home for a great value,
especially in today's market.

Now, Merrick has many really nice homes, yes, and has an award winning school district.
There are homes right now on the market, priced in the $399,999 to $500,000 range,
yes, that can use some updating, but the layouts of these homes do not have to be changed,
and some come with decent property sizes.

I would love to show you around.

Please call me at your convenience.
Don't hesitate IN THIS GREAT BUYER'S market CAMILLE 516-312-6245.
I am offering $1000 promotion to be used at
your closing for the use of my services.