Home Buying in Chattanooga>Question Details

Ocblank, Home Buyer in Chattanooga, TN

I currently moved to Chattanooga, TN. Coming from Overland Park, KS it seems there are a lot more houses for sale, why? And why does it seem I can

Asked by Ocblank, Chattanooga, TN Thu Dec 15, 2011

get so much more for my money down here than in KS?

Answers

4
We are moving to Chattanooga TN from Hendersonville NC and I am surprised to see so few homes for sale. When we left NC there would be 5 or 6 realtor signs at the entrance to every development. The difference here is that homes seem to be selling. There are jobs here and life is moving on as opposed to areas where the jobs are leaving the area and there is no work. We love Chattanooga and are glad we made the move!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 15, 2012
Dear Ocblank,

Congratulations on your move! Tennessee is known as one of the lowest cost of living states in the Southeast. Ironically, Chattanooga's costs are higher than other areas in Tennessee. Chattanooga is an excellent choice! Hip downtown, great job opportunities, fantastic state parks and quality housing choices. In case you're looking to buy close to downtown Chattanooga, take a look at this master planned community as a benchmark:

http://realestatescorecard.com/community-reviews-rankings/cu…

I'd be happy to mail you more information. You can also learn more about Chattanooga on our website under the Area Information page. Scroll down to find Chattanooga.

Warmly,
Margie Casey
Founder
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
Real estate markets are highly localized in value and opportunity. In New York City our average price wouldn't buy a closet. Our city has also done well attracting industry and jobs that have not been impacted as significantly during this recession.
In a word, "Opportunity". The prospect of actually selling your house in Chattanooga is much greater than many parts of the country so more of us are doing it. With the job growth and (relatively) positive economy here home owners are selling their homes in a reasonable time and buying the home they need for their next 10-15 years. It may be that in Overland Park, many people just do not try if their prospect of selling is low.

On a second note, the mild climate in Eastern Tennessee keeps the market moving where most colder climates such as Eastern Kansas close up shop for the bitter Winter.

I know from experience - I grew up in Chattanooga, but lived in the Kansas City area when the KC Chiefs drafted me in 1984.

Ellis Gardner
RE/MAX, Broker
"Go With a Pro!"
web - EllisGardner.com
fax - (888)663-1076
cell - (423)413-5037