Home Buying in West Allis>Question Details

Mumma, Home Buyer in West Allis, WI

I closed on a home without doing a final walk through, I was NOT given keys at the closing. The house had been burglurized. Who is reponsible?

Asked by Mumma, West Allis, WI Mon Feb 6, 2012

Answers

8
It's nice to see all these agents working late or up early, helping out. Burglary is the theft of property. The only personal property typically left are things like window treatments, window air conditioners and appliances. Was the home vandalized or windows, buffet, furnace, water heater etc taken? Regardless assuming you are not a cash as is buyer, purchasing a distressed sale without insurance, start with advice from your insurance agent. You may eventually need to call an attorney or go to small claims yourself. If you want to call me or any of these agents and give more details, we may be able to give better advice. I've forgotten to bring keys to closing but I always drive them to the buyer, when I do. If arrangements for transferring keys at closing were not made, someone messed up. Depending if anyone was there to represent you, that may have been you. There are 3 at least 3 locksmiths in West Allis.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 7, 2012
You are not saying when the burglary took place.
If it was after the Closing, you were the owner and your insurance would be responsible.
If it was before closing, the Seller's would be responsible.
What does the Police Report say?

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 6, 2012
Great question for an attorney! Your contract may guide you, but you should consult an attorney for legal advice about how to proceed. Sorry to hear this happened to you, but hopefully others will learn from your posting that you should always do a final walk-thru. Good luck to you.
I would have the same question. Why didn't you do a final walk thru. Right on the offer to purchase it states buyer has 72 hours prior to closing to complete the final walk thru. If you chose not to, then you would probably assume liability. The keys were probably forgotten. I have had that happen and, like the others, I just drop the keys off. You should call the police and your homeowner's insurance. Since you didn't do a final walk thru, you can't determine when the burglary happened.
Web Reference: http://kraushouses.com
Hello Mumma,

As the other agents have advised, please report this to the police department.

Why did you not do a final walk through?

Why were you not given keys or asked for keys at the closing?

Were you represented by an attorney?

Did you purchase this home directly or were you represented by a real estate agent?
Web Reference: http://ninaharrishomes.com
I would suggest filing a report with your insurance company. My guess is they will end up battling with the former owners company.

You have to accept some responsibility for not doing a final walk through when if had already been burglarized you would have known this and been able to address it with the Seller prior to agreeing to close. As it is, you don't really know when the burglary took place as it could have happend after the closing and before you were given access to the home.

I feel for you, but I suspect it's likely going to end up costing you.
If you have bot reported do it as soon as possible other wise you will in trouble..
Ouch!

As Ron mentions, there are a number of factors to consider. The fact that you did not elect to do a final walk through may have clarified this if the event took place prior to closing.

If you have not reported it to the police it would be advisable to do so ASAP and proceed from there.