Lucinda, Home Buyer in Rushford, MN

I claimed Chap. 7 24 months ago. My credit is 660. Is there a way to potential get approved for a FHA loan?

Asked by Lucinda, Rushford, MN Fri May 29, 2009

And can I use the down payment assistance programs (not a first time HB)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated....just trying to sort things out.

Answers

5
I think you have to wait seven years.
USDA is a great program but the property has to be in a USDA designated rural area. Also, USDA has no monthly MI, but it does have 2% up front MI (although they don't technically call it MI) that can be rolled into the loan. But it you live in a rural area it is a fantastic loan. The guidelines are a bit tighter than FHA, as FHA will go up to 55%+ back end debt-to-income ratio where USDA is 41-43%.
Hi Lucinda, I agree with the 2 year timeline. You also need an "accept/approve" from FHA's TOTAL credit worthiness system in addition to FHA's automated underwriting system. No other documentation regarding the BK is required.

Best, Steve
Yes it is possible... you really need to look at USDA though.
USDA is 100% w/ NO MORTGAGE INSURANCE at all.
Go to
http://eligibility.sc.egov.usda.gov/eligibility/welcomeAction.do
click on the left "Single Family Housing-Property Eligibility"
You can put in an address and see if it is eligilbe or go to the county/city you are looking in.
I have more information on my site as well.
I put people in this program all day long, even those that can put 20% down. It is excellent!

Chris Suarez
Hi Lucinda,

According the FHA mortgage brokers that I use, obtaining an FHA loan is possible after 2 years from BK-7 discharge date. I think you must have re-established good credit history and have paid other bills on time. Best to go straight to the source though and talk to a reputable mortgage broker who does FHA loans.

Krista
Web Reference: http://www.kristashouse.com