Home Buying in Levittown>Question Details

Alberto Silva, Home Buyer in Massapequa, NY

I can't find a house with a basement in Levittown any reason in special for that ?

Asked by Alberto Silva, Massapequa, NY Sun Oct 6, 2013

In the area a few do exist with basements, however back in day the Levitt houses, as they are known, were built on slabs. For the history see link below; for available properties check http://www.mlsli.com
Good morning Alberto,

The answer to your question is this: Mr. Levitt built those homes for returning Veterans after WWII based on a "cookie-cutter" plan, including slab construction. The builder laid in a concrete/cement slab and built the house up from there. Thus, no basements!

Trevor Curran

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 19, 2014
Hello Trevor. That is simple and plain, and right to the point. Great Answer.
Flag Thu Jun 19, 2014
Well you have your answer for the reasons why basements are not in Levittown. You could put a basement in if you really want it. However if you choose to live in Bethpage, Plainedge, in parts of Plainview or parts of Hicksville, there is a toxic plume that affect those areas and is travelling south toward Massapequa. Do your research into it.
It was easier and faster to build affordable housing for the GIs coming home from the war on just slabs rather than digging basements..
Levitt's main goal was at the time was to build the houses cheaply and timely for the veterans.
There are a few houses with basements close to Bethpage and Plainedge, and most of them are not levitt homes.
Hello Alberto,

In many areas across Long Island, some builders built homes without basements. Additionally, Levit homes generally do not have basements.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson , LSA
Experience The Williamson Difference
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Top Relocation Associate, 2012
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!"
Hi Alberto, there are currently 7 homes listed in Levittown with basements, 5 full and 2 partial. If you'd like the list please e-mail me.
Thank you
Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, BPOR
Licensed Associate Broker
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
#1 Listing & Selling Office on Long Island
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 208
Plainview, New York 11803

The houses in levittown were built by leavit builders. They generally follow their single model Known as Levit homes which did not contain basements. Rarely will you find one with a basement.

We would be happy to put you on an automated search that you can control that will automatically notify you should a home with a basement become available in Levittown.

There is no cost and no obligation attached to this service.

Call or email us 631.425.6150 or gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com and we will get you started.