jmonn71, Home Buyer in 55123

I bought a house, a traditional sale. One month after closing, I received an unpaid water bill. My title company will not help. Is this common?

Asked by jmonn71, 55123 Tue Oct 8, 2013

Answers

9
You have a Title Insurance to cover that. Your Realtor need to be step up and help you on that. Sometimes Title company try to avoid that as it's a claim on the title insurance. If your Realtor does not help you, I will be happy to help you.

Shawn Bhakta
REMAX Presidential
shawnb@remax.net
You can check your closing statement called the HUD-1.

On this document it should show the amount paid for the final water bill. You can cross check this amount with the letter you received and if it's the same amount owed. If it is then you can request a copy of the cancelled check from the title company and send it to the water company to be cleared.

When you close on a house the title company when send paper checks to all within a day or so to all parties invoiced on the HUD. Then it takes a few days for mail and then a few more days to post to an account. With water companies I have seen this process take 3-4 wks for them to post and clear an account.

If you were working with a Realtor you should contact him/her as they can help guide you through this process and contact the closing agent if needed..

Good luck..
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
Thanks for your inquiry. I had a similar situation where a customer closed on a property in Davie however the title company didn't catch the unpaid water bill. After explaining the situation to the local water company and showing closing statement as proof of possession date they removed the unpaid balance. As I was told its up to the discretion of the water company.

Wish you the best of luck resolving this issue.

The Andre Shambley Group
786-704-8482
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 8, 2013
There should have been on your closing statement an amount held for the sellers accountabilityfor the water. I usually ask to see the actual bill paid by the sellers at closing. When the new buyer goes to the water company, this last billing statement should show it was paid. Call your realtors manager and have them straighten it out with the title company and the seller.

Susan Penn, PA, SFR, CDPE http://about.me/HomesForSale_SusanJPennPA
EWM Realtors® | A HomeServices of America Company | An Affiliate of Berkshire Hathaway
2000 Main Street, Suite 103 | Weston, FL 33326 l http://www.susanpenn.com
T: 954.306.7337 | C: 954.557.5993 | F: 954.515.0200 | penn.s@ewm.com |
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 8, 2013
Check with the water company. Strange as it seems I do know of a water company in Southwest Florida that has the water bills follow the house and if it is not handled/paid at closing the new owner can get stuck with it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 8, 2013
Hi Jmonn71,

There are a couple of options you can do before you ask your title company for help or resolution.
As Dennis Evans mentioned, the unpaid water bill by the previous owner could have been on the HUD as final meter reading is conducted prior to closing.
1) contact your realtor who can then contact the lawyer who represented you at the closing
2) contact your lawyer directly
3) check your HUD closing statement.

Best of Luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 8, 2013
A final water reading is usually needed by the closing. I would contact your attorney or agent for assistance.

Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 8, 2013
Good Morning.

Title company / Title insurance will cover this issue.

Moti Dover P.A.

Cell 954 579 7494
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 8, 2013
jmonn71,
In NY, before closing, either the attorney or myself order a meter reading and the balance is handled at closing... as a matter of fact, check your HUD statement... It may be on that document already and you have so many things going on at closing... you may have not noticed. In any case, Your Realtor or attorney should have that information... give them a call, im sure they can help you with this.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 8, 2013