Ruthy B, Home Buyer in Bronx, NY

I bet no one has examined THIS topic here on Trulia - Licensing!

Asked by Ruthy B, Bronx, NY Sat Mar 9, 2013

I’m in the final stages of purchasing my own home. Yes; me! I’ve enjoyed every grueling minute of this process – the decision to buy, the house hunt/MLS stalking, the limitless home buying seminars, countless open-house attendances, and the soon-to-come closing.

Here’s the solicitation – I would love to obtain Real Estate Licensing within NY State. May I ask for a referral or recommendations to an accredited school that offers RE classes that lead to licensing?

Thank you all very much for your past, present, and future expertise!

That's an easy one. Go to That's the website for the Hudson Gateway Association of Realtors. HGAR covers Westchester, Putnam, Rockland and Orange Counties. When you go to the web site, just go to the Education tab and search courses. DON'T take this course online with anyone. You just won't get as much out of it. HGAR teaches the salespersons class right in White Plains.

Don Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
Director - Hudson Gateway Association of Realtors
Douglas Elliman Real Estate - New York's#1 Real Estate Broker
Looks to me like this was the best answer.
Flag Sun Mar 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your input! I've overheard someone state that a community college in Valhalla, Westchester Community College, has an accredited RE Licensing program.. do you have a review on this course?
Flag Sat Mar 9, 2013
I forgot to mention they have a class starting on April 8th.
Flag Sat Mar 9, 2013
60 South Broadway
White Plains,NY 10601
This is where I got started
Jennifer Zucco
Charles Rutenberg Realty
They will explain the steps to take to become licensed.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 10, 2013
It's not clear where you are moving to. So I'm going to suggest checking with our local association of Realtors and take it there.

If you are in the Bronx/ Westchester vicinity then definitely follow Don's advice and take it t HGAR. You will take from it real life experiences from solid knowledgeable people. Priceless and far better than an online course anywhere.

Tip: be prepared to study and do your homework. It is a serious course and not one that anyone can breeze through anymore.

Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 10, 2013
Need not have a recommendation other than go to the local Board of Realtors that you wish to service. They will let you know when there classes begin & best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 10, 2013
I have heard good things about NYREI. You can also contact any of the local boards of the National Association of Realtors.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 10, 2013
I've heard from a few people that and are good choices.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 9, 2013 is the website for the Dutchess County Association of Realtors. A sales class will start in the next month or so. Located in the Town of Poughkeepsie on Route 9 just above the Poughkeepsie Galleria. It's a great location. The sales course is team taught, meaning many instructors teach certain parts of the couse overtime. A diverse instructional staff allows an interesting mix of talent and style for our students. Check it out and best of luck!