Home Buying in Ellicott City>Question Details

Arianna, Home Buyer in Ellicott City, MD

I am 54 yrs. old and am interested in 55 plus townhome community is it possible and what about my teenagers are they welcome?

Asked by Arianna, Ellicott City, MD Fri Jan 27, 2012

Answers

6
My townhome is a FSBO in a lovely 55+ community, One owner must be 55 and all other full time residents must be at least 18.
Hi Arianna - Typically, you may not have dependents other than a spouse younger than the age restricted number living in the home. The covenants will detail this. If you like, I will be happy to research this for you on your behalf. Feel free to contact me at 443-280-1922 or email me at TheWeymouthGroup@verizon.net
First of all, either you or your spouse must be 55 or over to purchase. If you are 54, then you will have to wait to buy this townhome. As for dependent children living with you, you have to find out the specific rules of the community. Go to the sales office is this is new construction and ask. They will tell you the rules. Get it in writing, ask to see the documents / prospectus before purchasing. You don't want to rely on what someone tells you, only to find out they were wrong and now you can't live there with your kids!
You should be 55, at that age your teenagers may be allowed. You will need to examine the specific policies for that community. Housing developments intended for older persons may exclude children if such developments are occupied solely by persons 62 and older, or if 80 percent of the units are occupied by at least one person 55 or older and there are policies and procedures published and adhered to demonstrating an intent to provide housing for persons 55 or older.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
...and generally those restrictions include restrictions that will make it clear whether children can live there or be welcomed as guests. Check carefully to be sure it will work for your situation before you proceed.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
You need to check the community's rules and regulations. Some communities have an ownership minimum age AND a minimum age of all occupants.