Josin, Home Buyer in Cleveland, OH

I am working with OHFA for the purchasing of a home.

Asked by Josin, Cleveland, OH Wed Aug 14, 2013

My loan officer says she wants my kids (ages 13 and 10) social security numbers because its required to give them to OHFA. I've looked high and low through the OHFA website and see nothing anywhere that says they need my kids social security numbers. I am afraid to give this information out. My kids do not live with me so they have nothing to do with me purchasing a home. What should I do?

Answers

2
Honestly, if you aren't comfortable with your loan officer to this extent, You should probably find a new one that you trust.... Getting a mortgage and buying a home is a big deal and they need a lot of information from you. Talk with his boss/manager and explain your concerns.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 14, 2013
That is true that banks need a lot of information, and for good reason. But I can't think of any reason that they would ever need SSNs of children. What would they possibly do with that information? Children are minors and certainly can't agree to any sort of contract. The bank can't go after the children if the parents default on the mortgage. And to the OP's point, the children won't even be living in the house. Though I agree that perhaps the loan officer's manager would be able to resolve this. Kudo's to the OP for being careful with her family's personal information in this age of rampant identity theft.
Flag Tue Aug 20, 2013
I don't have any personal experience in this area, but I agree with you. You should ask your loan officer why they would need social security numbers of minors that do not live with you. I can't see any legitimate reason that they would need it. You should also contact OHFA to ask them if THEY require SSNs of non-resident children. If OHFA doesn't require their SSNs and your loan officer won't back down, take your business to another bank. Plenty of other banks offer OHFA loans (they are listed on the OHFA website). Good luck!