Home Buying in Columbus>Question Details

Jill, Home Buyer in Columbus, OH

I am trying to find out past electric bills for an all electric home that I am considering buying.

Asked by Jill, Columbus, OH Wed Feb 24, 2010

The electric company refused my request for information because I was not the person on the account. Both realtors involved say that they cannot help either...The house is entering into pre-foreclosure. Where else can I look? Thank you.

Answers

8
Are the sellers still in the house or at least nearby--can the listing agent ask them for an estimate of costs--of course it all depends on usage--are there any other immediate area properties on the market that are about the same size and all electric, if so can they be approached with the question.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 25, 2010
I tell my clients to tell the electric company that they want to go budget payments so can they tell them what the payements will be ? They are not allowed to give you information about prior owners.This way you get some idea but it will later depend on your usage. Two similar homes will use different amounts of electricity because we all have different habits.the policy may be different at your company
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 24, 2010
I'm surprised neither realtor will help you. If it is in pre-foreclosure the listing realtor is still in contact with the owner, they have to be because they technically still own it. I would think they seller could give their realtor an approximate amount if they don't have a bill handy. Also, tell the seller to look in their check book, I'm sure they paid their bill.....just a thought.
It seems simple to help you. If your Realtor won't get you the information, and it's not that she can't get the information, I would reassess your relationship with her. Even if the seller and listing agent are not cooperative she can talk to agents in her office and that she works with to get a range for you.

For the past electric bills to be useful you'll also need to know what temperature the family kept the home, if they kept it at that temperature when they were home from work or all of the time, if all of the family members work the same job schedule and if the electricity is only one when people are home from work or school. You'll also need to know whether some appliances or the water heater are gas and how new they are. New Energy Star appliances cost less to use.
Jill,
This is a tough question to get an answer on from AEP. It used to be that they would share this information with realtors or home buyers without another thought. Not the case today.
Without access to the previous home owners and their knowledge of the monthly expenses for utilities, there isn't a way to know previous use.
Of course, it wouldn't be too hard to find friends or family with electric heat pumps and electric water heaters and ask them what their usage and bills are like.
And perhaps Michelle is right, however, it never hurts to try again. I know I got that information on my house a few years ago prior to buying it
That is strange! Jill I would call the electric company again, customer service reps are famous for saying something different every time the same question is asked. I would word it like so, or something similar...I am looking into buying a home you service electric to, I do not wish to know any personal information regarding the previous account holders, however, I would be grateful if you could give me an estimate of the highest winter months based on the meter readings.

Hope that helps
You are out of luck. Privacy issues.
Web Reference: http://www.michelledrum.net