Vidya, Home Buyer in 75082

I am trying to decide between 2 homes...one is built by Centex ..please let me know how good the builder is?

Asked by Vidya, 75082 Tue Mar 17, 2009

How reliable is centex's reputation...especially a home which is 9 years old.

Thank you

Answers

7
At the nine year mark, I am generally not concerned with the original builder near as much as with the current condition of the property. Centex has always hd a strong reputation for building a solid "no frills" house. But over the course of nine years, even a well built home will suffer if not maintained. On the flip-side, a simply built home may have had many upgrades done over the course of nine years. You're in a great position if this is the most pressing question in your purchase decision. Its always a good thing to hve a back-up plan, and it sounds like you will hve a good second choice no matter which yu pick as first choice. Youhave a lot of leverage in the first negotiation. I hope it works well for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Where is your buyers agent? You need to determine what works best for your personal and professional lifestyle. Realtor cant state who is better builder breach of our professional code of ethics. How we can on property point out quality of home vs another.

CONTACT OUR OFFICE TODAY
972-699-9111
Lynn A. Crosby ~ National Featured Realtor
"...Specializing in Residential, Commercial Properties and Loans..."
Dallas Realtor, and Credit Repair Consultant -
The Michael Group - "Dallas Business Journal 08' list top realtors"
Dallas Loan Officer - Homewise Lending
Dallas Real Estate Office: (972) 699-9111
Dallas Real Estate Website: http://www.lynn911.com 60,000 listings Dallas homes for sale
Hi Vidya,
My Husband did home inspections in Collin County for years, and one of the services he offered to help people make up their minds was to walk their top 2-3 favorite homes before they wrote their offer. He used to come on the 2nd showings with us, and give his opinions about things he noticed in each home that the buyer may not notice. It wasn't a formal inspection - which was to come only on the home they put under contract. But, he was a trained-eye and came in as an advisor to help them make up their minds if they were stuck.

Home inspectors are freelance contractors (self-employed) just like real estate agents. Although my Husband has since retired, you can ask any home inspector if they will perform this function as part of their service to you.

I have included the web URL for the Collin County Association of Realtors (CCAR). If you go to the Affiliates section, there is a full list of home inspectors who are members of the local Board.

If you aren't working with a Realtor, I strongly suggest that you do.
Web Reference: http://www.ccar.net
You have gotten some very sound advice from other Realtors in the Dallas area. I hope you do the research that is needed if you do not work with a Realtor to purchase your next house. On most new house construction, a re-sale house is still under the original builder warranty. Make sure you have any house inspected by a Qualified Professional Inspector.

Remember you don't have to rely on luck if your working with a REALTOR.

Linda F. Reeves - REALTOR - GRI
ERA Millennium Realty
668 Main Street
Buda, Texas 78610
512-470-9574
Hello Vidya,

Centex homes is a pretty good builder. They have been around a long time and they have different products:

Fox and Jacobs - caters to first time homebuyers. They build solid homes but are pretty much shells. No upgrades and most of the time they don't offer them.

Centex: Their move up homes that are pretty decent yet still affordable with many expected upgrades.

Cityhomes: Luxury condos and townhomes.

If the homes are pre-owned, I would suggest that you just look at the current condition and upkeep.

As far as ratings by JD Power., I really don't give too much credibility to them. They have been known to publish some very "interesting" data.

Naima
214-289-8555
Naima@Sumner-Realty.com
Vidya,

It's really tough to judge the big companies. Norma's idea about cking out JD power is probably a start. In my opinion it often depends on the building super in the individual neighborhoods. Even then, I've seen some I thought were great builders get overwhelmed with multiple houses or multiple communities and then not pay as much attention as they had in the past. Probably now no way to tell who the builder was or if they are still around or what kind of job they did 9 years later. My suggestion is ask the neighbors what they think. Drive or walk around about 5-6-7pm during the weekdays or afternoons on weekends and ask the people in the neighborhood what they think. They'll probably tell you way more than we'll ever know. Even then you'll probably get a variety of opinions.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Centex has been building homes in the Dallas area since 1950. I've had several clients buy through Centex and they have been satisfied based on the money they paid. However, you should check out their consumer ratings at http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings/home-builder-customer-s… which will give you a more objective rating for all builders in the area.

Be sure if you are buying from a builder without the representation of a realtor that you don't let them trade you up to too many upgrades. Remember that the salesperson works for the builder, not you.

Norma Karter
William Davis Realty
214-418-6117