Home Buying in Ship Bottom>Question Details

Sal, Home Buyer in West New York, NJ

I am trying to buy in LBI is there a reason why ship bottom is so cheap compared to the rest of the island

Asked by Sal, West New York, NJ Tue May 6, 2008

I am looking to spend no more than a million dollars on LBI with a dock for a boat and walking distance to the beach. There are allot of affordable homes in ship bottom but they are pretty run down and then there are tear downs in loveladies. why is there such a price difference?

Answers

8
Good Morning,

In general, you will find various pricing in different areas of the Island. It will depend of several factors, like location and closeness to the water/view, lot size or type of structure. Also, properties on the north end of LBI tend to be more secluded and on private lanes which raises the prices. I would wlecome the opportunity to discuss option with you and send your information to consider. I can be reached at 609-709-9503 (cell) or at ematson@maryallen.com

Thanks, Eileen
Sal, Ship bottom does have congestion in certain spots. It is wider than other parts of the island too. If you are on the bay side you have to walk across a few busy streets and more blocks to the ocean than other parts of the island. I think if you found a property you like on a block that you like then don't worry about the name of the town. One million dollars is a great amount of money, even if it does not feel like that on LBI. I am sure you can find a dream home with that budget.

I would suggest you stand or park in front of the house now that it is getting busier. This weekend is a holiday and if the weather is nice LBI will get crowded. See if you are comfortable with the house.

LBI is getting hot again. I have one buyer there and two coming in from California wed and thurs. We made a very good offer on a house about two weeks ago and we went into a bidding war and lost to a full cash buyer. My suggestions is if you find something you like don't hesitate to make the offer.

BeautifulShoreHomes.com
It could be the size of the lot. The Northern end of the island have larger lot sizes than some of the ones in Ship Bottom area or the southern part of the island. Loveladies or the north end of the island is more secluded as well. I hope this was helpful. Please contact me should you have any further questions theresaj@maryallen.com
Web Reference: http://lbihomes.com
Ship Bottom is the gateway to LBI, thus most traffic passes through the town on one of two streets. It is also one of the widest towns so some properties are 4 blocks(1/2 mile) from the beach. The main drag is very commercial. That is why Ship Bottom is less expensive.
It is a nice town and most people who buy there like it.
Call us with any questions you may have or if we can help you find a house.
Jim & June Blauvelt 609-247-4272
Loveladies tend to demand a higher price based on lot size, beach privacy, walking distance to the beach and statis.
For your criteria you named some pretty expensive items. As you get closer to the beach, regardless of Township your price is going to increase.
Tough to get property with a dock and close to the beach for under 1M anywhere on the island. Ship bottom is just off the causeway a wide part of the island so a long walk to beach. Loveladies is the more desireable part of the island with an upscale residential neighborhood, therefore more expensive. I can search properties for you if interested.
Sal,

Most Realtors are salivating, and many are still on the floor over your question and the prospect of working with you. I was able to pick myself up to answer.
Ship Bottom is one of the more inexpensive...if you can really say that...on LBI, mostly because it has the most commercial and traffic on the island. That makes it to many the least desirable. Personally, I and my family don't mind it and we have lived here for 20 years. The traffic getting on and off the island is the most heavy there. As you travel further north and south of Ship Bottom, traffic calms down.
The big question you have to ask yourself is do you want to get the most for your money, or do you want to just pay for location? If you don't mind the traffic, which you can get used to quickly, my suggestion is keep he cash in your pocket and just find the home and area that fits. Some of the homes north and south are way over-priced.
Another suggestion is try a rental in an area and see how that works while at the same time, keep your eyes open to sales.

Good luck, and don't let an area fool you.

John Jelinski
Crossroads Realty
609-713-3454
johnjelinski_7@msn.com
Hi Sal, I've got a place on LBI - in North Beach, bay side.

There are a number of reasons why Ship Bottom prices may be lower than others. First, Ship Bottom is one of the wider sections of the island and so it is possible that the properties are further away from the water - either ocean or bay - than in other areas of the island. Also, there is a good bit of commercial development in Ship Bottom. Also, some major roads running in parallel to the Boulevard. Property sizes are smaller than in some areas as well. As an example, in North Beach many parcels are 100 x 100 - that's tough to find in Ship Bottom I think. Incidentally, when you first cross the cause way and enter the island, you are in Ship Bottom.

There is nothing like LBI - and if you have an opportunity to buy on the island, I can't imagine you can go wrong.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Maybe I'll see you on the Beach!

Best,|
Jeannnie Feenick
http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com