Home Buying in Palm Harbor>Question Details

Gerry Mccree…, Home Buyer in Palm Harbor, FL

I,am thinking of buying a vacation/investment property in Palm harbor/Dunedin area in the summer.I,am looking

Asked by Gerry Mccreevy, Palm Harbor, FL Fri Apr 3, 2009

for something under 100,000,what should I go for,a condo,townhome,or something else.Should i go for a forclousure,or short sale?

Answers

4
Hi Gerry,
Both these areas are great for second/investment homes. Deciding on the type of property really depends on whether you would prefer to purchase a property that is maintenance-free so you don't have to worry about that while away or whether you'd like to save the monthly maintenance fees and not have to deal with all the restrictions of a HOA. You would typically find some smaller Single Family homes for under $100,000 in both these areas. You may also want to consider Tarpon Springs, Oldsmar and the Countryside areas. Over 50% of listings currently are either Pre-foreclosure/Short Sale properties or REO (Real Estate Owned), meaning bank owned. You would possibly get a better deal on a Short Sale if the listing agent knows how to negotiate with the Lender and is able to accomplish this before the home goes to auction. But you need a lot of patience and you could lose out on the property if a higher bid than yours comes in and is submitted to the lender for approval. If you are not already working with a Realtor, I would be happy to set you up on a "Listingbook" account that allows you to have access to all the MLS listings. You can edit your own searches, see "Days on Market" for each property, all "Price Changes" and save your favorite homes into a "Favorites" folder. Please let me know if you're interested or if I can be of further assistance.

Bibi Zanella - REALTOR, DSP (Designated Short Sale Professional)
COLDWELL BANKER RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE - PALM HARBOR
Direct: (727) 403-8947
E-mail: BibiRealtor@aol.com
http://www.FloridaMoves.com/Bibi.Zanella
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 3, 2009
Hi Gerry:

Hi Gerry:

Palm Harbor and Dunedin are superb locations in Pinellas County. Depending on the size of the vacation home will most naturally depend on the price. Something under $100K will most likely not give you anything close to the beach or be newer. If you are looking in an adult community then maybe something could be available. Pasco County is another area that may offer more for the money Please contact me if I can be of assistance.

Mary Ann Lemon, Agent
mlemon@tampabay.rr.com
Gerry,
Dunedin and Palm Harbor are incredible communities in which to live. With the beaches, trails and parks throughout the area the quality of life is exceptional. It is possible to find bungalow type single family homes around that price point. They will not be palaces.
Find out more about Dunedin and Palm Harbor by visiting the community web site: http://www.MyDunedin.com
Give me a call if you need more details about available homes or area information.
Annette Lawrence, ReMax ACR Elite Group, Inc
727. 420. 4041
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
Although there are some single family homes under $100k for the most part in that price range you will ony see condos, villas, or mobile homes. A very large percentage of these will be short sales or bank-owned properties. What you will need to look carefully are the monthly fees associated with a condo, villa or townhouse community. These will sometimes put you over budget. Also what would be your plans with the property? If you anticipate just using it personally on an occasional basis it might be best to have something that is maintained for you with a monthly maintenance fee so you know it is looked after. If you plan on renting it out you will need to check deed restrictions and rental restrictions in the community. Some say no leasing, some are a 3 month minimum etc. These will all help you decide what is right for you.

Short sales take more patience because they take several months to get a definitive answer sometimes and also look at offers that may come in later but higher than yours. But in our market today we have many short sales in the pot to look at. The bank owned properties are usually faster to get a response from the bank but that is not always the case. Every bank is different and they follow there own rules that change all the time. Do not let that discourage you though, that is why you need a professional representing you as a Buyers Agent to work through their systems. And the good news is the seller typically pays the Buyers Agents commission so there is no reason for you not to use an experienced Realtor like myself for your purchase! Best of luck to you and if you would like to check out our current inventory let me know and I can email you listings in Dunedin and Palm Harbor. I have lived in this area for 16 years and love it!!

Patty Neri
727-278-8084