Home Buying in Waldo>Question Details

Stacy, Home Buyer in Jersey City, NJ

I am thinking about making an offer in the Waldo Lofts building. They are asking around $522/sq ft and seem

Asked by Stacy, Jersey City, NJ Tue Jul 8, 2008

to be some what negotiable. The building is really nice with a gym and the unit has a pretty large balcony facing south. I've looked at many other units in the neighborhood and this seems to be a great deal. Can anyone tell me if this is a fair asking price? Thanks for the help!

Answers

3
A building in being built to the west and south of Waldo so know that you will loose some light. Aside from that ask your Realtor for comparable sales information for that unit. Price per square foot is an easy way to price things for the media but it is not all that practical in the real world. There are way to many variables that go into pricing. I would only use overall price per square foot to compare neighborhoods, not individual homes.
It's too high. The building isn't built that great especially in regards to sound proofing. I'd say talk to some tenants/owners or check out some forums.
There are different variables. Every building has a different $ per sq.ft. and within the building. Is it a For Sale by Owner, listed with an office? Different side of the building...many times there's a difference $ per sq.ft. If there is vacant land infront of the balcony, find out what building, how tall. Amongs other variables. (A Realtor should give you this information).