David Gonzal…, Home Buyer in Rancho Palos Verdes,...

I am thinking about buying a home in Palos Verdes. My budget is 3.0 to 4.5 million. What are the advantages and disadvantages are to living here?

Asked by David Gonzalez, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA Sat Dec 7, 2013

Answers

11
There is a lot to choose from in this price range - Palos Verdes offers incredible ocean views, gated estates, or a gated community and realistic good value for the LA area. I would be happy to send you comps or suggestions as there is a lot to choose from in the different cities. PVE is an elite neighborhood with a historic town with no street lights, its own police and fire, and a strict art jury. There is a gated community of Rolling HIlls, and then the horsey area of Rolling HIlls Estates. Then Rancho Palos Verdes has some incredible ocean views and hosts a five star resort Terranea and the Trump Golf Course. There is several different climates on the hill since its a peninsula, and it can change as much as 20 degree from one side to the other.
I grew up in Palos Verdes and bought the home I grew up in. I know a lot of the hidden secrets the hill has to offer and I would be happy to share them with you. I host a virtual tour and shoot new homes each week - http://www.youtube.com/PalosVerdesHouses or you can reach me at http://www.JasonBuck.com
You can buy a lot in this price range and it would be fun to work with you to help you understand all the benefits that each home has to offer.
If I were to disclose disadvantages, we would have to talk per each city. In PVE there is a very strict art jury, and if you want a modern home, its not going to happen here. The art jury likes to see Mediterian, Spanish, or Venetian style homes, and you must have anything that can be viewed on the exterior approaved by the art jury.
The disadvantage to the gated community of Rolling HIlls is that every home must be single level, and its pretty horsey.
In Rolling Hills Estates, there are some very horsey homes, and if you don't like the smell, you may not want to be on these streets.
The top disadvantage to RPV would have to be that the Miraleste area is very removed from the rest of the hill, and you must go around the gated community to get to the top of the hill. It can take up to 20 minutes. There is some area's of slippage that must be noted, where the ground is moving. If you use a Realtor, they should disclose all of these things for you. Good luck hunting)
Hi David,

Thanks for your question!

There are definitely many advantages as well as disadvantages to living in Palos Verdes.

Advantages:

Palos Verdes is a great community to live in, with amazing ocean views as well as city views.

It is a great place to raise your kids and has great public schools. Weather is of course great, as it is in all beach communities.

Disadvantages:

It is a little farther from the center of Los Angeles, which could mean a longer commute in traffic depending on where you need to be.

It is also very close to Torrance, where the Montrose Chemical Corp. was once located. Until the 1970's, the company released millions of tons of the now banned pesticide DDT into the ocean throughout the Palos Verdes Shelf. This has negatively affected marine life and has caused the disappearance of some local birds. It is actually named by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) as one of the most hazardous pollution sites in the country.

Please feel free to contact me anytime directly via phone/text at (310) 717-1321 or via email at JamieTian@RodeoRE.com with any further questions/concerns about the area or any other areas in the greater Los Angeles area. I would be happy to email you a list of properties currently on the market in your price range in Palos Verdes, or any other areas, as well as answer any further questions you might have.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty Fine Estates
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
http://www.JamieTian.com
BRE #01920120
Web Reference: Http://www.JamieTian.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
There was a recent article that the off shore DDT deposit on the deep water ocean floor has substantially decreased and that a clean up may not be necessary. This has never affected our local beach or our beautiful tide pools.
Flag Sun Dec 8, 2013
Hi David,

I was born and raised on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. I LOVE living here. I went away for college and came right back home, along with the majority of my childhood friends. Palos Verdes is so wonderful that people never want to move away it from it, hence the low inventory of homes for sale (only 122). The Peninsula offers one of the best public school systems in the nation. There are views just about everywhere in Palos Verdes depending on what part of the "hill" you are on. You can see down to Orange County, Catalina, Downtown L.A. or up the coast to Malibu. Some exclusive Palos Verdes properties offer views from orange county to Malibu. Palos Verdes has 4 cities and tons of neat neighborhoods offering a vast variety from equestrian property where you have a country feel and tons of land, to ocean front homes. Not to mention our dream climate. Depending on where you buy you may be on the warmer side of the hill or the areas that get the morning marine layer and late afternoon marine layer. The biggest disadvantage that one might have living in Palos Verdes is the commute to get "off the hill". There also isn't a lot of nightlife or restaurants to choose from and the hill is dead quiet and closed down around 9. We have one movie theater and a main mall then the Peninsula Center. To me, the disadvantages are advantages and all part of the beauty of living in Palos Verdes. It is quiet and secure. If you would like to discuss the different areas Palos Verdes has to offer, or if you are interested in having us give you a local tour contact us. kathyandrachel@gmail.com
Rachel
Web Reference: http://www.tyndallteam.com
The most important advantages of buying a home in Palos Verdes is the fact that there are a plethora of top ranked public or private schools, and with the price range you have you have an opportunity to buy an absolutely beautiful home. not to mention the climate here is pretty spectacular. As for the disadvantages, it will be a slightly longer drive if needing to commute to the center of Los Angeles. other than that, you have the opportunity to get a great home in a great area. Best of Wishes to you!

Ricky Smiles Jr.
Rodeo Realty
rsmiles@rodeore.com
760.650.5024
BRE # 01940776
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Camille Jasmin, Agent, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
David,
Having lived in Palos Verdes for 20 years, after living in surrounding communities, I find the advantages outweigh the disadvantages greatly.

Advantages:
Climates - many micro climates, so you can choose the one that best suits you.
Views - can also choose between Ocean, Catalina Island, Harbor, City Lights
Schools - Top Ranked Public Schools or Private Schools to choose from
Real Estate - you get more home and land for your money than adjacent Beach Cities or other similar areas

Disadvantages:
Slightly longer drive to points outside of the area, however, driving though Palos Verdes is scenic, so less of a concern.
Less shopping and entertainment available in Palos Verdes, still close to other areas.

It would also help to know what other areas you are comparing to Palos Verdes.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Camille Jasmin
Realtor, MBA
BRE#01163896
310-714-1574
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Good Morning David,

Simply put the main advantages of living in Palos Verdes is the beauty of the area. At your price point you will be captivated by the privacy and views everytime you drive home. The main disadvantage I have heard people say is the distance to the freeways. However I have clients who commute and they say the extra 10/15 minutes driving through PV heading home overlooking the ocean calms them before they ever walk through the front door. They find it as an advantage instead of driving through the city or other coastal communities where you have one home on top of another.

Where are you moving from? What are you looking for in a community? If I know your individual needs I can better personalize the advantages and disadvantages.

Please email me or call me I would love the opportunity to work with you in finding the right property to call Home!

Cheryl Friedman, The Friedman Group
Keller Willams PV REALTY
Cheryl.c.friedman@gmail.com
310-504-4690
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Contrary to what the public may think, there are still many owners that are still defaulting on home loans & are still underwater, despite home prices having gone up earlier this year.

************ How about you let me know your actual home criteria (size of home, # of garages required, bedrooms needed, ocean view or more secluded) & maybe I can find what you need, for under $3M ??****

If you'd like to discuss this further, shoot me an email directly or give me a call. I don't look back on this same Trulia posting for Answers or Replies posted after mine.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since--- 1996
Realty ONE Group
BRE# 01211967
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Hi David,

The advantages of living in Palos Verdes are vast and expansive. Many choose the hill for its privacy and seclusion coupled with its proximity to major hubs (Los Angeles, Long Beach, San Pedro.) Many are also drawn to PV for its great award winning schools. With a home in your price range, you can definitely find something with a queens necklace view, which is one of the most prized views ever. Disadvantages are more for the younger crowd, as there is not much night life or any venues in general open late. The seclusion and privacy can be considered disadvantages by some. I hope this answers your question. Feel free to email me if you would like further information. Thanks
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
I certainly couldn't give any more complete answer than Maureen's below, and she is correct on all counts. The schools and proximity to the ocean and views are almost incomparable. Living here is a true blessing and although I live very close to, but not IN Palos Verdes, I pinch myself every time I come home and say to myself that "I can't believe I live here!" If I had to define any "negative" aspect, it would be that is does take a little longer to get places if you need quick access to a freeway. Other than that...not much negative about it!

I'd love to assist you in finding the perfect home meeting all your criteria. Please let me know how I can be of service to you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
The following are the advantages of living in Palos Verdes:

1. Quality of the Local School System :The Palos Verdes Unified School System is one of the best in the State, and our schools consistently rank among the top in standardized test scores. . People recognize the value of having strong local public schools and the cost savings that can be achieved when they don't have to send their kids to private schools.

2. Rural Atmosphere : The foresight of the city planners of the 4 cities on the Palos Verdes Peninsula to insure the preservation of open space through the dedication of large nature preserves has made the Palos Verdes Peninsula an island of tranquility in the urban jungle that is Los Angeles County. In additon, the maintenance of equestrian oriented trails and rights of way have preserved this rural way of life for all of us.

3. Larger Lot Sizes and Set back Requirements: Compared to most of the local beach communities, our city governments on the hill have maintained building standards to limit the "mansionation" of homes here. Most of our cities have limitations on the size of the foundation of a home as well as strict neighborhood compatability regulations to make sure that new homes do not sit on top of each other and give all of us breathing room.

4. Our Beautiful Views and Proximity to the Ocean: We are so fortunate to enjoy the spectacular views along our coastline, as well as the magnificent city views that we also have. People who are looking to relocate here are absolutely blown away by the beauty and spectacular views that many of the homes here have. Even if you do not have a view from your home, we all enjoy the spectacular setting that we live in just when we are driving around the Peninsula. I have lived here for 24 years, and have never taken the beauty of this area for granted.

5. The Weather: Because of the moderating influence of the ocean, our weather varies very little from month to month compared to most areas of the Los Angeles basin. The cool ocean breezes cool us during the summer, and the ocean also tends to moderate cold temperatures in the winter. I live in Lunada Bay and I don't think that our high temperatures vary by more than about 10 degrees for most of the year. Most of the older homes on the Peninsula that are near the ocean do not even have air conditioning.

6. Our Sense of Community: My husband and I have raised 3 boys in the Lunada Bay area of Palos Verdes Estates, and we have made so many friends over the years through other parents participation with their children in their school programs and sports programs. Our boys played for many years in the baseball leagues, basketball leagues, and soccer programs on the Hill, and we have found most of the people that we have met to be friendly and non-pretentious. We have had some relocation clients comment to us that in the well off areas that they are moving from that people tend to treat their homes as status symbols, but I believe that most of the residents on the Hill see their houses as truly their homes.

The only real disadvantage to living in Palos Verdes is that depending on where you work , the commute time may be higher by 10 to 15 minutes as the Peninsula may be anywhere from 10 minutes to 25 minutes to a freeway.depending on the direction you are traveling.

Please call me at 310-259-7124 if you would like help in finding the perfect home on the Palos Verdes Peninsula or in one of the other beautiful South Bay beach communities. Check out my website http://www.maureenmegowan.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
Hello David,
What may be a disadvantage to one could be an advantage to another. So, the question is what are your needs, likes and dislikes..what exactly are you looking for?
If you would like to email me directly your specific criteria I'd be more than happy to send you properties meeting that criteria.
Susan Bo'ur
Realtor/Coldwell Banker
Susan@SusanBour.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013