Home Buying in Eastmoreland>Question Details

Marc, Home Buyer in Eastmoreland, Portland...

I am starting a business in Portland and will be visiting 5-6 times a year. Most of those visits will be for a week, but 1 might be for a month. I

Asked by Marc, Eastmoreland, Portland, OR Sat Apr 3, 2010

I am starting a business in Portland and will be visiting 5-6 times a year. Most of those visits will be for a week, but 1 might be for a month. Ihave a 4 yr old and a baby on the way. My business will be located at 9th and Hawthorne in SE. Suggestions on what to buy and where would be appreciated - thanks!

Answers

9
Janeese Jackson’s answer
actually, Marc, there are lots of great close-in SE/NE Portland neighborhoods from which to choose. I guess one of my first questions would be: will you bring the entire family when you visit? If so, how often will they accompany you? Your scenario could be perfect for a condo or townhome as it is easy to "drop in/drop out" with more security, someone else grooming any grounds and exterior maintenance (not to mention neighbors close-by to keep watch). However, with two small children it might be a challenge finding the room you need?? If the children and family will not usually be a part of your business trips, you could consider that option and even include downtown, Pearl District or NW Pdx condo living right across the river from 9th & Hawthorne. If you prefer some of the older, vintage homes the eastside is teaming with charm and grand old architecture and your neighborhood choices range from bustling, trendy, hip Hawthorne or Sellwood to elegant Laurelhurst (with lots of great family 'hoods as well). Your preferred price of home would also influence your decision. I would be happy to have a more detailed discussion with you either by phone or e-mail. I own property on both sides of the river and know the neighborhoods well!! Feel free to search for properties by neighborhood and price point at http://www.fabulousportland.com . All the best,
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource

503-709-0802 or jj@janeesejackson.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 3, 2010
I think you should just pop up the road on Hawthorne and live N or S of Hawthorne in one of the great neighborhoods there. It's a great area all the way up to Tabor (SE 60th) with dining, shopping, and entertainment. There are a lot of fantastic parks and recreational activities to enjoy. If you bike, it would be an easy ride down to your office, or the 14 bus runs every ten minutes in the morning. Real Estate in this area is extremely healthy and in demand. I live on 32nd, South of Hawthorne and have to say that my family really enjoys this area. My daughters are 4 and 1, and since we moved to this side of town 5 years ago we have noticed an influx of families. Great schools as well!
You have many choices... It really depends on your needs as a family. Do you need a garage, yard or a park close by?

Portland has so many wonderful neighborhoods that are family friendly and walk friendly too.
Sellwood is a great walk friendly neighborhood. Clinton neighborhood, Hawthorne neighborhood, Belmont , and Eastmoreland is great too. These are all wonderful neighborhoods.
With a townhome, you do have a shared common wall. The only concern I would have would be if your comfortable with shared noise? I have kids, and I know that could be a concern.

I welcome you to Oregon! This is a wonderful place to raise a family. Best of luck.
I agree a townhouse or condo would be perfect. I found a condo on 15th and Hawthorne that would work. There is also condominium on 16th and Salmon, 2 blks up 7 blocks over, with a couple condos for sale. If you want more information I'd be happy to help.
As Janeese said below, a condo might be the perfect home for you. I would suggest pursuing that line of inquiry, along with talking to a loan officer (if you will need financing) to see what qualifications will be necessary and what price range to use.
Web Reference: http://www.bybryson.com
Hi, Marc,

I would suggest Ladd's Addition. Let me know if you want to know more about why and what's available.

All the best, Mary Jean
Web Reference: http://maryjeanharmon.com
Hello Marc,

I'm sure realtors will give you some great information to answer your question. As a lender, I saw something written that prompted me to want to comment. When starting a new business, if it's expanding from a business that you have already owned for 2 years you will be fine. If you are starting a new business, regardless if it's in the same line of work, you must show ownership for 2 years before you can purchase a home.

I do not mean to assume your financial situation. Knowing guidelines before purchasing can help you maximize your time and efforts efficiently. If you have additional questions of me, please let me know.

Crystal Beard
crystal@ambientlending.com
I know of one extended stay rental in Sellwood and another in Hawthorne that might be convenient for you.
Address: 8980 SW SUNSTEAD LN M City: Portland Zip: 97225
XST/Dir: Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy to SW 91th to Sunstead Lane
Bed/Baths: 4/2.1 SQFT: 2252 YrBuilt: 1963 Style: CRAFTSM, CUSTOM
Map Coord: 625/F/3 Type: DETACHD PTax/Yr: $3,364 LotSize: 7K-9,999SF
View: Garage: 2/ATTACHD Acres: 0.22
Here is what you need. bob.weaver@exprealty.com http://www.wilsonvillepowersearch.com