Home Buying in Groton>Question Details

Cherry, Home Buyer in Nashua, NH

I am searching between Westford, Groton and Dunstable and plan stay for about 15 years. Is there any trend regarding which city is better?

Asked by Cherry, Nashua, NH Sun Oct 9, 2011

investment compare to the other two?

Hi Cherry,

I feel like Glenda the Good Witch from Wizard of Oz when I say this, but you have had the answer the whole time! It is right here on Trulia under "Local Info". It only goes back to 2000 but will help you see that Westford Real Estate has held its value better...and has even increased a little bit year over year, than other area towns.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me!

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 10, 2011
Hello Cherry,

These towns have some similarities and some huge differences which reflect the values of the town.
If you go to http://www.HottelRealEstate.com and click on the profile of each town there is a synopsis of what each town offers. If you would like any clarifiation or need more information. Please contact me I'd be happy to help.

Hottel Real Estate
Where buyer receive 25% of our commission when purchasing a home or condo!

Come Join Us ~ We're breaking ground!
As the data indicates Westford has done well but again it's almost impossible to predict real estate trends over multiple years. What is good now could plummet in value in the next few months so in such uneasy economic times invest in those areas that have maintained value over time.

Thank you very much, Judy and Catherine.
Dear Cherry,

While it would be challenging to provide you with 15-year statistical data, I can provide you with the following information that may assist you in determining which town may be the best fit for you.

The following data is based on a one year period:

Westford - the median home sales price increased 4.3% but the number of home sales decreased 6.6%.
Groton - the median home sales price increased 0.5% but the number of home sales decreased 25.7%.
Dunstable - the median home sales price decreased 3.4% but the number of home sales increased 12.5%.

Another factor that may influence where you want to settle down may be the size of the town. While all of the towns you’ve chosen would be considered rural, each town has a varying degree of agricultural endeavors and open space.

In 2010, the population figures are as follows:

Westford – 21,951
Groton – 10,646
Dunstable – 3,179

Here is the sales data for the last 6 months per the Multiple Listing Service for Groton, Dunstable and Westford :

Single Family Listings: 114
Average List Price: $515,502
Average Sale Price: $501,617
Average Market Time: 103.35

Single Family Listings: 47
Average List Price: $460,329
Average Sale Price: $450,741
Average Market Time: 199.83

Single Family Listings: 12
Average List Price: $414,425
Average Sale Price: $397,775
Average Market Time: 120.50

I have a strong working knowledge of these communities and all are considered to be wonderful towns with good school systems. I would suggest that you look in all 3 communities and settle on the one that has the home that best fits your needs.

If you have any further questions, or would like my assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Catherine Condon
Broker MA & NH

Integrity Residential Brokerage
138 Main St., Pepperell, MA 01463
Web Reference: http://www.integrity-rb.com
Thank you, Amy and Roger. I picked these area mainly because the school district. When I mean the trend, I mean, is there any difference for the housing price after 15 years? Which area (might have to compare to past 20 year history?) can be consider better investment?

I originally only look at Westford, but it seems Groton has better house for the same price range. I worked in Billerica, and I like to shop in Nashua (current location), that's why I pick these 3 cities.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011

There are many different factors involved in picking which area might be best for you. As far as a trend...do you mean the market trend?

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011
That depends on your criteria? Can you be more specific?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011