Karen, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

I am relocating to Houston from Ohio, looking into Ponderosa Forest area. My children are in college so schools aren't an issue. Looking for

Asked by Karen, Houston, TX Thu Dec 29, 2011

safety. I want to know about the community, crime, and commuting. I'm not a big fan of sub divisions and like areas where houses don't all look the same. What is this area like.?

Answers

19
Hello Karen,

I would love to help you find a new home. The Ponderosa Forest area is a very nice area. I live very close to the area myself. Please let me know what your email address is, and I will forward some available homes to you right away? When do you think you will be able to look at homes?

Kallie Coleman
RE/MAX Professional Group
kallieshep@sbcglobal.net
Good Morning Karen,

Welcome to Houston! I moved down from the Mid-West 21 years ago and haven't ever missed shoveling snow.

Ponderosa Forest was established in the late '60's to mid '70's. The homes do have a unique style and many have had improvements over the years such as manicured landscaping, decks, pools, patios, sunrooms, interior decor upgrades, etc. It is located right off FM1960 which was originally the "farm to market" road used to transport agricultural products to market. When Ponderosa Forest was originally built the area was much more rural, where now it is more central to the commercial traffic of FM1960. The neighborhood seems to be suffering a bit through the poor economy with an increase in foreclosures, lengthy listing periods and declining price per sq ft. If you decide you like the area there are some very good deals to pick from.

I believe the first step in assisting my clients is to listen to their needs. I would love to talk to you and hear more about your situation and the life style you lead. Give me a call and we can set up a game plan to assist you in your move and finding your new home. Cell-281-798-4100
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 29, 2011
Currently 2 great homes for sale in ponderosa, one pending sold (option pending), good schools, close to I-45, a lot of the homes have been updated, lots of trees, a ncie family area, Give me a call and I'll send you some information.
Dear Karen,
I would research local Houston Realtors and choose who you want to work with. The homes and home prices in Houston can vary quite a bit. I lived there for 25 years and can tell you an area can change drastically in a matter of a few blocks. Better to know before you go. Even though your children are out of public school, it should still be a consideration for you on a purchase. Homes that feed into better schools are generally much easier to sell in the future. I wish you the best of luck on your relocation!
Happy New Year!
Betina
Wow, I just got in from a long day, and as you can see, there are a lot of great Realtors to choose from in the area! Make sure you check out everyone's websites and see who you would feel most comfortable with! Happy New Year!
HAPPY NEW YEAR, Karen ! I would like to send you information to help you get started. It will help you with credit reporting agencies addresses (if you need them) to utility companies and lots of information in between. Here is a site you may not have tried. It helps locate information about phone numbers you may not recognize and want to know who it is BEFORE you call them back.

http://800notes.com/AreaCode.aspx/1-714

I also have sites to help you research the demographics of an area and criminal statistics. I try to help my clients have an easier moving transition.

Looking forward to helping you. Kathleen (281) 799-4002
Please contact the Nina Marino team. They will do a fantastic job of assisting you with your real estate needs and specialize in relocation.

http://www.ninamarino.com/
Good morning Karen,

This is a great area for family life, close to shopping / restaurants, great schools and major freeways. Great subdivision, residential, quiet, beautiful houses with personality at great prices. My mother in law lives here, and we are very familiar with area. Let me know when you are ready to get started. Happy New Year and Welcome to Houston!

Mario Romero
Real Estate Broker &
Mortgage Banker

832 818 5868
mromero@amcap1.com
Karen,

Ponderosa Forest is a nice neighborhood just west of I-45 in north Houston that is older, mature trees and a variety of home exterior styles. Even though you say schools are not important because your kids are grown, that doesn't mean the person buying from you would be intersted so schools are VERY important. Also note some of the north sections of the community are in a flood zone. Crime is always a topic and we cannot directly talk about it...but all of these issues can be reviewed on all neighborhoods as you look around. We have resources for you to use and compare. You must always think about resale when you are purchasing.

I understand your concerns about not wanting all the homes to look the same. The older neighborhoods such as this one typically have a variety of distinct styles (English, French, Spanish, Contemporary, etc), but they might not have the interior floorplans today's buyer is hoping for. I am a relocation expert and have been assisting buyers for almost 19 years in the north parts of Houston. Lots of different neighborhoods that might be of interest and I can tour you through all of them and guide you through your new city.

Feel free to contact me and I will send you a relocation packet with information and links to use on-line. Look forward to hearing from you.

Mark McNitt
Bernstein Realty
m# 832-567-4357
HI Karen---

The Harris County Sherrif's office recently began using crimereports.com to keep the community up to date on crimes in their areas. You can visit the website and look up the neighborhood or zip codes you are interested in to find out what's been happening in the neighborhood. For the most part it is well updated. Hope this helps. Happy New Year--Vanessa Castillo, Realtor, TAHS
Web Reference: http://www.crimereports.com
Hi - Ponderosa, Greenwood, and Champion Forest all have that unique feel you are looking for. It's also close to lots of shopping which is nice.. if you like shopping.

You can research demographics here, http://zipskinny.com/index.php?zip=77066. As far as crime goes, Houston is a city. It is up to each individual to be smart and take proper precautions, which is really quite easy to do and buying a "safe" house is important, too, no matter what area you choose.
Web Reference: http://jlres.net
Houses are of diffent elevations, not originally a "production" home sty;e where there are 4 or 5 plans and all homes look the same. There are areas like that close to this subdivision, crime is not a problem and close to I-45 and then to beltway for driving around Houston, FM 1960 is close and a major road. Just depends on ewhat you want;ie, age, location, pricing, style, etc, call and we can discuss more.
WELCOME, and HOWDY !! Karen, I hope you will find your new Texas home and neighbors to be most cordial.
Let's be honest here. You can find a bad element anywhere. This neighborhood - Ponderosa Forest - is in the 77090 zip code. If you will contact me I will send you some links so you can see the information about the area and you can check on the safety statistics. I will tell you what I have done in the past..... I have met the constable, securty officer, or a policeman that patrols an area and ASKED THEM !! They have specific info on their laptop right in their car for my clients to visit with them. Then.... ask them point-blank "would you want your family in this neighborhood?" You can tell a lot by the silence or the quick response.

Karen, there are many steps to purchasing a home. I will guide you through the many processes. I'll send you the links that will help and certainly there are more. Telling you to go to the net... well you already know you can do that. I'll send you some specific info and of course there are more but these are the ones I'd use.

I would like to introduce ourselves and visit about your specific needs. What do you want in a home and need to have it feel special. I know you have a different schedule since you are out of town and will help you so you aren't as stressed. There a many process from arranging financing, inspectors, utilities, and even through closing. With new regulations it could take 6-8 weeks for closing depending ou your situation. So let's get your time frame in mind and get you set up to begin viewing properties in the comfort of your home in Ohio.

Call me to introduce yourself, Kathleen (281) 799-4002 or email me your information -KathleenRealtor1@gmail.com and I will call you. Looking forward to helping you.

I see no reason for you to delay. Call me and let's get started today.

Very truly yours, Kathleen (281) 799-4002
Very familiar with Ponderosa, have sold several homes there, great prices due to school issues, but if no children, can probable make a good purchase, our offices are in the area off Louetta Rd and Champion forest, call for more information or to set up a "Buyer Agent" interview with Larry Williams, Real Living Real Estate.
The area is very nice and know in Houston for its Christmas lights each year. I have several friends that live there and I live very close to the area as well. I also own a In House Mortgage Company and can save you some money on your loan as well.

Google harris county crime and put in the area it will show
crime in the area
First of all welcome to Houston. I will be glad to assist you in looking for a property in this particular area. As the area, it's very commercial, you have quite a few things around there. I does have access to the city bus line as well. If you like custom homes, you may also want to look at the Champion Forest area as well.

Please call me and maybe I can help you find something that you like.

Mirna Johnson
Re/Max Cityview
832-239-2475
Hello, Karen!

Marie Souza is correct! We as Realtors cannot advise as to what the crime rate is in an area and will have to direct you to the Houston Police Department, but as for the community specifics and commuting, I could give you an estimate of your travel time from the downtown area or where your job will be and some information on the community and pricing in that area. Please send me an e-mail and I'll be glad to assist you with your questions!

Kay Harris, Realtor
REALM Real Estate Professionals
Cell# 713-598-6655
Fax# 713-490-3368
E-Mail: kay@kayharris
I am very familiar with Ponderosa Forest. When I was in remodeling we did numerous remodels in the neighborhood. There is one section that is prone to flooding, but it hasnt been an issue in quite a few years. Feel free to send me an e-mail with your specific needs and I will be happy to send you some searches that you will love. I have bought, sold and leased all over that area and can help you find the perfect house!
Karen - It's best to get an agent who can guide you in that specific area. Once you get a feel for the location, they can give you the information to contact the local police department regarding crime, as realtors cannot answer that.
The Marie Souza Team - Top Selling on Cape Cod
Cape Cod Real Estate Services
Phone: 508-790-2000
info@mariesouzateam.com
http://www.MarieSouzaTeam.com
http://www.facebook.com/CapeCodRealEstateServices