Home Buying in Dracut>Question Details

Maria Jamie, Home Buyer in Dracut, MA

I am potential buyer w/20 down & preapproved. I want a min 3-Bed 2Bath SFHome built 2000-05 in Dracut/Chemsford MA Price range 300-350K. Please

Asked by Maria Jamie, Dracut, MA Sun Feb 6, 2011

help!

Answers

11
Hi Maria,

Being both a realtor and a resident here in Chelmsford I must unfortunately tell you that newer built homes in the $300-350K price range will be very limited. Newer built homes in Chelmsford tend to be in the $500-700K price range. However, there is a newer development in Chelmsford called Lamplighter Green. These homes fall in the $300-$350k range and were built about 10 years ago. I specialize in Lamplighter Green and have sold many homes there. Unfortunately, there are no homes currently for sale in Lamplighter but the spring may bring some new activity and I can certainly alert you if any homes come on the market.

Lastly, I understand your desire for a newer built home but I would not discount older homes. There are many older homes that have been well-maintained, updated, and upgraded that would give newer homes a run for their money. So, I would not let Chelmsford's lack of newer built homes in your price range dissuade your Chelmsford search. Chelmsford is a wonderful community that offers an excellent school system. If you are interested in Chelmsford, I can happily answer any other questions that you may have.

Jean McCarthy
978-729-8896
jmccarthy@c21email.com
Maria Jamie:

Congrats on your ability to save. The first thing you should do is hire an exclusive buyer's agent that is going to guide you through the process. Ask this agent to sit down with you and give you some education on all there is to buying a home so that you can make a purchase that will protect your savings. Best
Hi Maria,
All good advice from the previous agents. We are currently working with clients in the Dracut/Chelmsford area, but are not limited to any one location; we work as a team and explore any location you are interested in. We are buyers agents and have been for 8 years. We specialize in helping home buyers and never push you in a direction where you are not comfortable. The right time to buy a home is when it is right for you. We have fun personalities coupled with very strong work ethics. We help minimize the stress out of purchasing a home. We specialize in negotiating the best possible price and are dedicated to finding you a home that meets your needs at a price where you feel most comfortable. To learn more about us, check out our website. Please email or call us anytime, we'd be happy to help you in your search.

Pat and Joanne
Hi, Maria-

Any agent can help you find the home you want to buy, or you can find it on your own. It's after you find that home that a good real estate agent adds real value.

What you're looking for is someone who will be your consultant, your negotiator, and your transaction manager. You want someone who is great in each of these roles. If you don't know someone who can give you a personal referral, there are some things you can look for. Here is a list, off the top of my head:

1. Experience

Look for an agent who has specialized in buyer agency for many years. Since most buyers these days have already thoroughly researched the communities they're looking in, I would say that lengthy experience as a buyer's agent is more important than familiarity with a community. A great agent-advocate can always help you find the answers to your questions about a community. But it's not always true that someone who knows a community will be a great advocate for you.

2. Impartiality about Which Home You Buy

Don't work with a buyer's agent who has some incentive to help you decide to buy one house over another. This can be in the form of bonuses for selling his/her company's listings or accepting an incentive direct from the seller.

3. Continuing Education

You should look for someone who continually seeks to improve his/her practice. Don't settle for someone who merely satisfies the minimum requirements for licensure with the state. There are always new things to learn about market conditions, technology, business practices, client- and self-management, etc. You want someone who strives to become better every year, every month, every transaction.

Finding an agent with professional designations is no guarantee of professional excellence. But I will recommend you look for one designation, in particular: Certified Residential Specialist, or CRS. It's one of very few that require a combination of classroom training and a lengthy track record of closed transactions. You won't find someone brand new to the business with a CRS.

The best indication I can give you of the caliber of agent who becomes a CRS is this: Less than four percent of all Realtors have earned the CRS designation, but we account for almost 25 percent of all the residential real estate bought and sold in the U.S.

4. Full Representation throughout the Transaction

Though I'm in the minority of agents in Massachusettes who feel this way, I would recommend you never work with an agent who practices dual agency. This means you could find yourself in the middle of buying your home with an agent who cannot give you any information or advice that helps you if it hurts the seller's interests. This is not illegal in Massachusetts, nor is it unethical; it is allowed under the law. But there is always the chance you would have to make all your decisions without the benefit of your agent's best advice. This is more likely to happen if you work with an agent who takes lots of listings in the area in which you're looking.

I, personally, would also recommend that you think twice about working with an agent whose firm practices designated agency. This may be a controversial opinion among my colleagues. This was a new practice created a few years ago that allows one agent in a firm to represent the seller and another agent in that firm to represent the buyer of that property, without having to call it dual agency. Nearly every agent in Mass. works in an office that practices designated agency.

My concern with designated agency is that, although it works great, in theory, I believe there are too many opportunities for some piece of information to be inadvertently leaked to the other side. Maybe the listing agent is good friends with your buyer's agent, and there might be something about your situation that is casually shared between the agents before your interest in the property is known. Or maybe a third agent in the office overhears a conversation regarding your offer between these agents, picks up the phone, and calls his/her buyer and gets them to submit a slightly better offer.

These are two theoretical possibilities just to illustrate my belief that designated agency carries with it too many potential pitfalls in protecting the consumer's interests that it cannot be considered 100 percent foolproof.

There are many first-rate agents who practice designated and dual agency. Finding a great agent----whether or not they practice designated/dual agency---should be your top priority. But if you can find a first-rate agent who doesn't practice these, you're that much more likely to have a good experience.

I feel like I've gone on plenty long for one of these posts. I hope I've given you something useful in finding a great agent.

Let me know if I can help you find someone who will do a great job for you. I know a few agents who meet several of these criteria.

Best of luck!
Maria, that is great! Obviously Celmsford and Dracut are very different towns and you have some choices to make between types of communities versus the amount of house you can buy. That decision is very personal to each individual buyer...... Your criteria of homes built between 2000-5 show only 2 properties as of today.

I have set up a Chelmsford/ Dracut property search for you if you follow the link below..... . This search is cutting edge combining a map based search as well as a list search. Good luck and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to call!
That's great, Maria! You might want to start by looking through the MLS listings in those towns to get an idea of what you can get for your price range. You can also set up an automated search so that you'll receive free daily emails with updated listings sent to you. It'll also be helpful to consult with an agent who can guide you through the process. Good luck and happy hunting!
Hi Maria, I am a Dracut native who has an abundance of knowledge of the Town. I can inform you about restaurants, schools to parks and rec. There are many properties to choose from that match your criteria. If you want to go out today and see some properties, I would be happy to take you today! Call or email me.

Tim Desmarais
timothy.desmarais@era.com
603 765 1965
Hi Maria,

I live right next to Chelmsford and have recently closed buyer purchasing trasactions in both Dracut and Chelmsford. There are definitely homes available meeting your requirements. Send me your email address and I will forward full descriptions and pictures for these homes.

To learn a bit more about me, please read comments from my past clents in the Testimonial section of my web site: http://www.HomeInfoSearch.com.

My cell: 508-341-0989. My Email: HomeInfoSearch@verizon.net. I would appreciate an opportunity to sit and discuss your home-search requirements (no obligation) and look forward to the possibility of assisting you!
Good Morning Maria. I am a full time agent who also works this area. I can be reached at 978-857-5069 or by email at mary@marygiroux.com Let me set you up on email, and take you out to see a few properties.
Hi Maria,

Are you looking for a list of homes thst meets that criteria, or for an agent to show you the homes? My teammate and I cover that area (he lives in Chelmsford, too.) Let me kmow if we can help.

The Deb and Don Team
homes@debn.net
Web Reference: http://homes.debn.net
Maria,

Here you are:

MLS # 71173901 - Active
Single Family - Detached
43 Redgate Rd List Price: $349,900
Dracut, MA 01826
Middlesex County
Style: Colonial Color: Gray
Total Rooms: 7 Bedrooms: 3
Full/Half/Master Baths: 2/1/Yes Fireplaces: 0
Grade School: Middle School:
High School:
Directions: Nashua Road to Redgate
Remarks
Beautiful Five year young colonial in newer subdivision. Attached oversized one car garage. Custom kitchen with maple cabinets. Upgraded appliances and island. Master Bedroom with full bath and walk in closet. Hardwood and tile flooring. Sliders to deck. Finished family in lower level. Central air. Professionally landscaped with irrigation system. Town water and sewer.

MLS # 71184170 - Active
Single Family - Detached
702 Broadway Rd List Price: $349,000
Dracut, MA 01826-2727
Middlesex County
Style: Colonial Color: Sienna
Total Rooms: 7 Bedrooms: 3
Full/Half/Master Baths: 2/0/ Fireplaces: 1
Grade School: Middle School:
High School:
Directions: Route 113 is Broadway
Remarks
Wonderful Colonial with many updates including newer kitchen, carpets, interior paints, sits on 1.7 acres of land. Abuts 31 acres of Permanent Open Space/Agricultural Preservation Restriction program land so you will always have a stunning view. The 14,000 sq ft Barn has 4 stories, drive in basement, drive through 1st floor, gift shop, commercial candy kitchen, heated/AC offices, loft and much more. Seller successfully ran a farm/garden center/gift&candy shop for many years. Be your own boss.

Please let me know if you would like to schedule a showing.

Amy
508-784-0504
amymullen@remax.net