Home Buying in South Atlanta>Question Details

Alessandro, Home Buyer in New Jersey

I am planning to relocate near Atlanta, both my wife and I need to live close to the airport (which means

Asked by Alessandro, New Jersey Thu Feb 12, 2009

south of Atlanta) because we both travel a lot for work. On the other hand we are going to have a children soon and we are looking for a safe community with good schools, possibly in or very close to a Golf Course. Can anyone help me? Thank you
Alessandro M.

Answers

14
Joan Shorter’s answer
I am quite late to the race on this answer, but perhaps you are still looking. Listen to Scott Eaves! Close to the airport (within 3 miles) and still be in a nice historic neighborhood AND you can take MARTA to the airport if you live in the Tri-Cities area: East Point, College Park, Hapeville. (though Hapeville is not on MARTA to ariport). Public schools are a downer, but there are some nice private schools that are not expensive and strong progress on a charter school.

These cities are also closer to Atlanta than the others suggested. They have the intown vibe if you are not looking for suburbia. College Park has a lovely golf course too. Nice sized yards, a real sense of community, and located in Fulton Co. Taxes are reasonable.

Again, if interested - Scott Eaves or I would be happy to give you the tour and represent you.
Dear Alesandro,
I am a Realtor in a community called Hamilton Springs in McDonough, Georgia. We are 30 minutes from Fort McPherson and Fort Gillem. The Union Grove schools in Henry County are excellent. We presently have Army personnel living in our communities and they are very happy. Our homes start at $154,400 for 4 bedrooms to $172,000. With the VA incentives you can purchase a home with no down payment; pay off some of your debts and get an $8,000 tax credit from the Government. What a deal!!! Give me a call at 404-275,5267. Thanks.
Property taxes vary from county to county, but to figure:

[(assessed value) - Homestead Exemption] * millage rate = tax due

Example: Fair market value means "the amount a knowledgeable buyer would pay for the property and a willing seller would accept for the property at an arm's length, bona fide sale." Assessed value is 40% of the fair market value. If a person that owned a home with a fair market value of $100,000 in an unincorporated area of a county where the millage rate was 25.00 mills, that person's property tax would be $950.00--[(100,000 * 40%) - $2,000] * .02500 = $950.00. Multiply $100,000 by 40% which is equal to the assessed value of $40,000 and subtract the homestead exemption of $2,000 from the assessed value. Then multiply $38,000 by the millage rate of .02500 which is equal to $950.00.

In the example above, $2000 was used for the homestead exemption, that's the one offered by the state of Georgia, typically, your county will offer a better one.

To figure out your county's millage rate, check out the county's web site or go to this link...
http://www.etax.dor.ga.gov/ptd/cds/csheets/millrate.aspx
Warning, it's a little confusing.
Alessandro

Peachtree City: 2644 sqft $3489 taxes
Fayetteville: 2580 sqft $2549 taxes
Tyrone: 3065 sqft $3877 taxes

All three areas meet your requirements.

Curtis
Thank you everybody, I have an additional question.
How are the property taxes in these areas? how are they calculated? can you give me some examples on 2000 or 3000 SQF??
Thank you
Alex
Hi Alessandro,

I also agree that Peachtree City really seems to meet your needs. I have 2 small children and lived in PTC with the wonderful schools. My next door neighbor was a Delta Pilot and the other neighbor was in the Army and worked at Fort McPherson. There are so many Airport workers in Peachtree City that it would be so easy for you to catch a ride with a neighbor and lessen the wear and tear on your own vehicle! There are many golf courses to choose from and you can still buy a home 'on the golf course' in every price range! There are many walking trails and Golf Cart paths that await you. Many residents actually use their golf cart like a car. They take their kids to school on them, go grocery shopping and even have separate golf cart garages built onto their homes! What could be better than that?

Please call or email me if you need any help,

Lisa Allen, REALTOR
404-925-8261
Prudential Georgia Realty
LisasListings@comcast.net

http://www.LisasHomeListings.com
Alessandro,

Peachtree City is a swift way to meet all of your goals.

Regardless, you have a few good options with good school districts in Douglas, Cobb, Southwest Fulton and Fayette counties. That being said, Intown Atlanta has many safe communities with good schools near a golf course that also offer easy airport commutes. In my opinion, we have cooler things to do like live music every night, world class restaurants, and gorgeous parks and tree lined neighborhoods with a little bit of history.

Depending on how you like to commute, you can expand your horizons Eastward into Decatur and Northward toward Sandy Springs and use the MARTA rail system to the airport.

Depending on your price point, I suggest Grant Park or Ormewood Park, which are in very good elementary Charter school districts. The East Lake CC and Charlie Yates course are only 9-10 minutes East.

Of course, Intown Atlanta's Candler Park has a fun 9 hole course and some terrific houses within walking distance of the expansive Candler Park.

One of my favorite residential sections of Intown Atlanta is in Southwest Fulton, on gently rolling land north of the airport and south of the downtown area - south of I20 and North of East Point. There are 2 neighborhoods in particular, Audubon Forest and Audubon Estates that offer big brick houses on large lots with lots of privacy. These are just ten minutes from the airport, and there are 2 public golf courses within a couple of minutes, plus the golf course at Fort McPherson which will be open to the public after decommissioning in 2012.

The schools aren't so great in the area, but it's loaded with unique houses for less than $400,000, private, nice neighbors and lots of cheap golf.

Best wishes in your search.
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com/
Alessandro
You have pretty much described fayette county, Fayetteville, Tyrone, Peachtree City. The schools are all excellent from grammer through high. You have the Canongate Golf group, which consist of 18 different courses, 7 of which are either in or adjacent to fayette county. There is a wide range of style and price homes, close to shopping, medical facilities, interstate, and the airport.
If i can help give me a call or email.

Best of Luck

Curtis
404-405-6713
cwilliamson@prudentialgeorgia.com
Alessandro,

If you haven't been here yet, I hope you LOVE it. I've been living here for 17 years and don't want to be anywhere else!!

To your question... The community where I live, used to work in and currently have several listings really fits your bill. I have heard countless (honestly) stories from my neighbors about how they searched and searched and searched (as did I) and then found our community and absolutely fell in love.

It's 12 miles from the airport, 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta and is an absolute dream.
There are parks scattered through the neighborhood, all homes are energy efficient and the whole space backs up to a State Park.

As if all of that weren't enough, the icing on the cake is the people. Most of us are transplants from somewhere else and there is such a strong social infrastructure, I pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. There are parties nearly every weekend and plenty of impromptu dinners, field trips, out of state excursions and just general get togethers with all of the neighbors.

There are about 350 households that are my neighbors and new friends and there are hundreds of more homes to be built, in addition to a retail and commerce area that already has tenants.

I can set up a personal tour for you. Noone knows it like I do.

I hope to see you soon!!

Tony Teixeira
770-851-5050
tonysellsatlanta@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.muffleyhomes.com
Alessandro

If you require more detail assistance in identifying a community with all the desirable features that you require, we could assist you with our free Relocation Package “All About Atlanta.”

However, we will need to complete a needs analysis to customize a personal search. It will help aid you in pinpointing the ideal School System for your new family additions, as well as being convenient to the Airport and select Golfing venues.

To get your Relocation Package and a client gateway to view areas and accessible communities, contact us now via email or phone.

Atlanta offers many surrounding communities that are both safe and within minutes of the Airport whether you decide to drive or take our rapid transit/rail system – MARTA to or from the airport during your travels.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

678-851-4463
Roger@rogerforrealty.com
Hi Allessandro - I can assist you in any part of Atlanta, North, South, East or West. I have knowledge of the entire area

Check out my website, see below. Not only do I know the area, but I can help you negotiate for the best possible deal, and there are plenty.

I used to live in the New York area and thus know where you are coming from

Ed Francell
Prudential Georgia Realty

770-633-7576
Alessandro,

Welcome to Atlanta! I live in Hapeville which is just minutes to the airport. One area to check out is Historic College Park which is home to Woodward Academy - a very prominent private school. College Park also has a public golf course. Historic College Park is home to many Woodward families! Plus you are only a 15 minute drive to downtown Atlanta. You can also check out Wolf Creek Country Club in unicorporated College Park off of Camp Creek Parkway. If you want a more suburban lifestyle you can easily commute from West Cobb and Douglasville (west side of metro Atlanta) to the airport or Peachtree City and Newnan on the southside of metro Atlanta.

Please let me know if I can help!

Scott
Good afternoon Alessandro,

I sell homes on the southside of the Atlanta and live close to the airport. I will be more than glad to assist you with finding a home. Please feel free to contact me at feliciasellsgeorgia@yahoo.com or call me at 770-369-0261, http://feliciareoproperties.georgiamls.com

Felicia Williams
Solid Source Realty
770-369-0261
There are two great areas in golf course communities not far from the airport. On the southeast side is Eagles Landing. On the southwest side there is Peachtree City. Both have golf courses and are easy commutes to Hartsfield Jackson. If you would like me to send you more information on these areas I will be more than glad too.