Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Kevin, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

I am planning to buy a home in Brooklyn, NYC. Can I send in an inspector to inspect the home before making an offer or sign the contract?

Asked by Kevin, Brooklyn, NY Sat Dec 7, 2013

Once the contract is signed, what is the time frame for me to do inspection? If the condition of the home turns out worst, can I negotiate with seller to lower price or back out of the signed contract?

Answers

9
Kevin, the inspection is done sometime between your offer being accepted and the contract being signed. The inspection should always happen BEFORE the contracts are done. If you find out that there is certain things that come up in the inspection which you want the seller to handle as part of the negotiations, then it is important to learn about these things before the contracts are signed. All these things need to be agreed on and put into the contract to protect both sides.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
STERLING NATIONAL BANK
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
jmeneses@snb.com
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(516) 740-4478 Office
(516) 918-5383 Fax
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
It's usually done before the contract is signed, if you choose to bring an inspector in before you can. My client chose Tom Dagastino of Long Island Home Inspector, for their townhouse and he did an amazing job. His email is longislandhomeinspector@gmail.com, his office is 631-585-4296. Best of luck and feel free to contact me for your real estate needs. FYI: I do not receive compensation for any referrals, have a good holiday.

TONY LARA

Rutenberg Realty|NYC
Real Estate Salesperson
Co-Op, Condo, Investment Properties
212-688-1000 EXT-426 (O)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 9, 2013
Hello Kevin,

If you choose to conduct an inspection of a property, it should be done as part of your "due diligence" before the contract is signed. The seller has no obligation to pay for this service so, the expense, whether you choose to move forward, or not, is yours.

When hiring an inspector, please research their background and expertise to assure that they are familiar with the type of property you are considering.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
You will want to do the home inspection prior to signing any contract. You can also bring a home inspector in before making an offer as well. The reason you want to do this prior is in case there are anymore negotiations needed.

Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Sure, it could be inspected before an offer. If I represented the seller, I would NOT allow an inspection prior to any offer.
Flag Mon Dec 9, 2013
Hi Kevin. I read this thread and wanted to answer a question you posed. "If I pay for inspection after seller accepted my offer then decide not to buy the house because of bad condition, can I get my inspection expense money back from seller?" The answer is no, you wouldn't get back a penny. It is upon the buyer to do their due dilligence and a large part of that in the process is that you would get the property inspected anyway and pay for that regardless of if you ultimately buy it or not. If you don't move forward, you're out the dough.

It is common to put forth an offer (written and w/financial docs & credit score) first. Once it is accepted and before any Contract is signed you would have enough time to have the property inspected (at your expense). If something isn't right, you move on but you'll always pay for any inspection. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
It is much better to make an offer, have it accepted, and then do the inspection before you go to contract.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
Did you mean verbal/written accepted offer? If I pay for inspection after seller accepted my offer then decide not to buy the house because of bad condition, can I get my inspection expense money back from seller?
Flag Sat Dec 7, 2013
You can do before or after, and you may or may not be able to negotiate the price. Every deal is different and all sellers are different. In this tight market- sellers are generally not very negotiable.I always insist the buyer do an inspection before contracts are sent. You really want to know what you are getting yourself into. To be taken seriously, make sure you've gotten yourself pre-approved, ready to make an offer. Terry 718-614-3167 cell or TKorahais@elliman.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
STOP. Are you working with an agent for guidance? DO NOT do a home inspection unless your offer has been accepted by the seller and DO NOT wait to do an inspection after the contract is signed, you do that BEFORE with a licensed home inspector to make sure that the condition of the home is too your satisfaction. You can ask the homeowner to make repairs or provide a credit but they are not under any obligation to do so just like you will not be under any obligation to move forward with the purchase.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. This is very helpful.
Flag Sun Dec 8, 2013
No not in NY, we operate differently from most other states, it's not like what you see on House Hunters. Until you sign a contract, and even after you have done a home inspection, the homeowner can proceed forward with another buyer. So you want to do the home inspection as soon as possible after the accepted offer, address whatever concerns you may have quickly and sign the contract quickly if you choose to move forward. Unfortunately this is not a buyer's market right now. you need to move quickly once you are confident you want the home. Do you understand what I am staying, it's extremely competitive to purchase a home, there's a shortage of inventory.
Flag Sat Dec 7, 2013
Thanks. Is there such a contract with contingency clause to satisfying home inspection? If there is, after the contract with contingency is signed, how many days do I have to do inspection?
Flag Sat Dec 7, 2013
HI Kevin

The normal process goes you make an offer once the home owner accepts the offer then you schedule the home inspection that usually happens ASAP then once your home inspector gives you and your lawyer the report you meet with your lawyer and review the report and if turns out that there's issues that's when any negotiation happens depending on the outcome of the report.

Thanks Felix
917-692-7702
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013