Question Details

Bbr, Both Buyer and Seller in West Hyannisport, MA

I am paying cash for a house whose current owners have been there 17 years. Only one other owner. Do I need title insurance?

Asked by Bbr, West Hyannisport, MA Tue Dec 11, 2012

How do you know this information about the current and past owners? Title insurance is always a good idea. There is a reason banks insist on it and, frankly, as a realtor I wouldn't let one of my clients buy a house without it under any circumstances. Title insurance not only codifies the chain of ownership, making sure each owner in the chain had clear title and the right to convey that title to the next owner, it also will identify any other liens on the property. Liens, unless satisfied, follow the property and not the owner, so if all liens are not satisfied or lifted prior to the sale, you could end up being responsible for someone else's debt. Get the title insurance. The cost is really very small in comparison to the peace of mind it provides.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 12, 2012
can't say it any better than Suzanne. Yes you need it. You have no idea of liens or mortgages are on the property without it.