Pmilleritm, Home Buyer in Gainesville, FL

I am nervous about my financing and have already signed a contract. Can I apply at more than one lender in case one does not give me approval?

Asked by Pmilleritm, Gainesville, FL Mon Jul 14, 2014

Answers

4
I know that it is not wise to start the home buying process without understanding your buying power. Before you start looking for a home, you should speak to a realtor and a lender to understand whether it is a good idea to purchase at this time. Here's the deal, if you are shopping for a home loan, you can search through a few lenders within a small window of time, more like a few days. However, depending on the type of loan, there will be some consistency in minimum credit score requirement especially with FHA, VA, and USDA home loans.
If your working with a buyers agent I'm at a loss to understand why you were encouraged to sign a purchase contract without already being pre-approved by a lender. If you're working with the sellers agent you've already made one huge mistake and so have they; as again they should never have permitted their seller to sign a contract without a letter from a lender that you were pre-approved.

Moving forward do not make multiple applications but it's fine to inquire of multiple lenders regarding their terms. If you do have a Buyer Broker speak with them immediately and ask for their suggestion as to the best lender to work with. The best advice I can offer you is that if possible work with a credit union if you can as their the most accommodating. under no circumstances should apply for a mortgage with one of the big banks (wells Fargo, BoA, Suntrust etc as their the absolute worst to deal with and even well qualified borrowers are rejected by these banks.
I would not "apply" with more than one lender, but you can definitely speak with multiple lenders for a pre-approval. This is a great way to compare different programs & make sure you are using your best financing options.
Once you do a full application with a lender you will start having to pay application fees & it should not be necessary to do this with more than one lender.
Sure! The pre-approval process won't effect your credit up front. once you make your selection, they will do their due diligence and that's when you're credit will take the hit. Options are a good thing!