Home Buying in New Haven>Question Details

Mike, Home Buyer in New Haven, CT

I am moving to the New Haven area with a budget of 100-150k and was wondering what is the best place to buy a

Asked by Mike, New Haven, CT Mon Aug 4, 2008

condo within about a 10-20 minute drive? A 1BR is fine, but I would also consider a 2BR. Which area would be better for re-sale? Would a 1BR or 2BR be better for re-sale? I have seen one or two places downtown, a couple in East Haven near the beach, more in East Haven/Foxon area and several in Hamden that look fine, but I can't decide what would be better for me. I am under 30 so I would prefer a neighborhood with people roughly in my age group. Also, is now a good time to buy, or should I rent for a while?

Answers

5
Now is the time to buy at a discount. 2-bed rooms is typically higher resale than 1-bedroom. (think buyers w/o children only). If your not worried about school systems, I would just take a drive by whichever ones fit your criteria and see if you like the location / common areas, then ask to see a unit.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 26, 2008
Hi Mike,
You are getting some good feedback I see from several professionals. I would like to add just a couple of options for you to consider. I am with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in Milford, CT and we are the #1 Brokerage Firm in the area. The easiest of your questions to answer is the size of the condo. A 2 bedroom will bring you a much larger buyer pool when you go to sell than a 1 bedroom for the reasons already mentioned. The second easiest question is whether now is a good time to buy. Interest rates are still at historical lows and inventory is up. Now is a great time to buy! The hardest question is the location. Even though you have mentioned some personal choices, there are still a lot of considerations to consider. I would highly recommend you select a Realtor that you feel comfortable with and you feel will have your best interest at heart and then review the options in a few different locations to see what feels right for you. Milford has a great downtown and great beaches but I would also consider the West Haven area near the beach as there is a lot going on there, some up-and-coming areas and you are still close to New Haven. I would be more than happy to assist you and email you some properties or you can get automatic daily updates sent to you from my website below.

I wish you well and look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Denbo
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
203-783-8710 Direct
"Don't Buy or Sell on a Whim... Rely on Tim"
Good Morning Mike,
Have you considered Branford?
It is a great shoreline town, lots of people in your age group, gyms & restaurants and beaches! Branford is within 10 minutes to New Haven too.

There are a few options in the 100-150K range that I can email you to check out.

Two bedroom condos are a better investment. When you go to sell you will appeal to a broader market. (Professionals that want a home office, small families, etc...)

Let me know if I can help in your search and if you would like to see the list of condos available in Branford!

Kimberly Bailey Madelung
William Raveis Madison
baileymadelungk@raveisre.com
Mike, Yes it is still a great time to buy despite all the hype you hear in the media. It is definitely a buyers market and the rates are still very reasonable. If you can afford it thenit is better to go with the 2 bedroom as there are that many more people looking for a 2 bedroom rather than a 1 bedroom when it comes time for you to sell it or rent it out. I welcome the opportunity to sit a chat with you so we can go more in depth with this process and I can always e-mail you the available condos that fit your criteria. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Have a great day sir!
I would be glad to help you and show you the different areas in New Haven. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. My direct line is (203) 581-3317 Henry J Ruszczyk Century 21 Premier Homes. I am always available. I also have the designation of ABR which is Accredited Buyers Representative and I have extensive knowledge on helping buyers invest in a home. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. I welcome the opportunity to serve your needs with regardfs to real estate.