Home Buying in Laveen>Question Details

Relocating To…, Home Buyer in Laveen, AZ

I am moving from Los Angeles to Phoenix, looking for a family friendly area, low crime rate, close to the Biltomre area for work but not the fast

Asked by Relocating To Asap, Laveen, AZ Sun Jul 25, 2010

past that I am use to in L.A. Laveen looks like a wonderful place to live..but looks can be deciving. I am pre approved for a home purchase but conserned about how to best select an area with NO previous background on the areas. Any advise??

Answers

6
Since you asked for advice, here it is.

Do not buy a home immediately upon moving to a new area. Rent first. In fact, my advice is for you to rent for minimum 3 months prior to buying a home. This will allow you time to drive through neighborhood, experience the traffice. and inspect areas with your own empirical senses. Buying a home is an important expensive decision and one that should not be rushed into. So, take your time to find the right home because when you buy a home, you don't just buy the home; you are also buying into the neighborhood, lifefsytyle, characteristics, etc. So, look for a rental first and then take your time to find the right home in the right neighborhood.

-----
PAUL WELDEN PLLC
HomeSmart
Exclusive Buyer's Agent
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 25, 2010
I worked in Laveen for two years selling new construction or "new home sales". Laveen is a family friendly area as you put it but, not that close to the Biltmore area. Depending on your housing budget and type of property you desire will make a difference as to where you will be able to purchase. Coming from California's housing market I will assume you may be used to paying more for housing and your money will buy you more in Arizona. So, you can expect less payment for a larger home. A good resource for you to look into if you have not selected a realtor yet is the "Buyers Advisory" which you can access on the AZ Dept. of Real Estates website. The Advisory will give you links to check out sex offenders and other areas of concern when choosing a property and should prove helpful to you. Without more detail it's hard to give any definitive answer. If you'd like buyer representation feel free to give me a call and I'd be more than happy to "help you find your way home".

Best of Luck,

Sandy Farmer
Realtor, CSSN
John Hall & Associates
c. 602-430-0751
http://www.homesales411.com
Web Reference: http://homesales411.com
Relocating,

There are a few other areas closer to the Biltmore that might also peak your interest. I have worked with many California buyers and can guide you throught the process of choosing a great house in a great area. How much you want to spend will also dictate what area are available...Good Luck!
Dear Relo:

Good questions.

Phoenix is the largest metropolitan area in terms of square miles in the US. Many, many different areas and spread out.

You will get many different answwers on favorite places to live. Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, Paradise Valley, North Peoria, Biltmore to name just a few.

Note, that Laveen is not close to the Biltmore area.

You may want to bet a month to month rental when you move and check out the area and drive through neighborhoods before buying a home right off.

To learn more about Arizona, check out: http://www.arizonahomesland.com/aboutarizona.html

Jeff Masich, Realtor
Arizona Homes and Land
http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
HomeSmart
Renting as Paul suggests isn't a bad idea. But for some, the thought of moving twice (once into the rental and again into a home you purchase) isn't terribly appealing. This can be especially true if you have kids.

One way to accelerate your knowledge of particular areas is to spend as much time here as you can. Even if you can only spare a few days, if you come prepared to drive areas at different times of the day, and potentially tour a couple of schools (I'm assuming you have children), then you can get a pretty good idea of what's available. Team up with a good agent that is prepared to show you a lot of homes, and you can get a pretty decent idea of where you want to live.

One thing we've noticed with clients who come from the LA area, is they are often amazed at the comparative lack of traffic in the Phoenix metro area. You may not need to live as close to work here as you are used to needing/wanting in LA.
I agree with Paul, I know it sounds like a hassle moving to a new city, packing and unloading while you rent for 3-6 months. However, it will give you the best layout of the city, and where you might want to live. How far of a commute you can accept driving to work in traffic, schools for the kids, crime, and etc. Biltmore area is beautiful, no question about that. The housing market is not going to "take off" again any time soon, in fact we are still waiting for it to stop declining. Phoenix was one of the hardest hit markets, much worse than here in Tucson. You have time, if it were me, I would want to know more about the area before I bought.

Best of luck.