Abe1979, Home Buyer in Middlesex, NJ

I am moving from Jersey to CO next year. I would like to buy a residence for my family is cash and have no mortgage payment. I see a lot of

Asked by Abe1979, Middlesex, NJ Wed Jun 23, 2010

properties in Colorado Springs listed in the 100K or less range. Should these cheaps properties be a concern for us, i.e. - crime rates, poor school systems, no mass transit, etc...? We are torn between Colorado Springs and Denver. Please help/advise.

Answers

19
Hi Abe, I would love to help you with your search. You have a number of resources now, so your search should be a lot easier. You will find our city a great place to live, and will enjoy the way our community reaches out to help. After 25 years here, I can say that this city is a wonderful place for adults and kids alike.
Hope to hear from you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 24, 2010
Hi Abe,
I'm originally from Philly, and i can tell you from my own experience - it's a different world out here! Don't let those low priced homes worry you. In addition to housing cost, you'll discover much lower taxes and utilities in Colorado Springs as well!

Feel free to contact me for a Colorado Springs Relocation packet or with any other questions.

Marie Sweetland
Broker Associate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 23, 2010
Abe, remember the old saying...You get what you pay for. I don't know about Colorado Springs but in Denver $100,000 isn't going to go very far. I have a small family and if I could live in a nice single family home for only $100,000, I would be all over it. You may want to check out the new homes being built in the 80018 zip code. For under $200,000 you can a brand new home with 3 bedrooms that will be feeding into a brand new school, the first of it's kind pre-K to 20. Children going to this school we be able concentrate on their own special interest, science, mathematics, engineering and get an Associates degree here. It's worth taking a look into. Let me know if you want more information.

Sandy Kinslow
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
kinslowteam@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 23, 2010
Dear Abe,

Congratulations on your plans to relocate next year! I too have relocated to Colorado (in fact my husband is from NJ) and understand that it can be a stressful experience especially when you are purchasing a home in an area that you are less familiar with. So my hat is off to you for getting out there and asking questions.

As far as your question regarding purchasing a home in the less than 100k range, I can only answer to the Denver Metro market as that is where I do business.

We definitely have inventory that is priced under 100k in different parts of Denver, Aurora and other surrounding neighborhoods. A high percentage of the inventory that is priced below 100k is distressed (as in short sales or bank owned properties). With this in mind, I do think that it is very possible for you to find something however you may want to think about what type of work you are willing to do as far as updating or renovating whatever home you may purchase.

As for neighborhoods, ever city has the "not so good ones" and I would highly recommend just looking at each county's website and getting a better idea of crime rates (proximity to homes of interest, schools, etc.).

If you get swayed by all the amazing sites and things to do in Denver, please feel free to contact me at (720) 988-5952.
Web Reference: http://www.brookehengst.com
Ok, I'll help you find a home but you have to bring me a cake from Carlos Bakery in Hoboken when you come out here. ;-).

Jamie Heath

Heath Real Estate
Colorado Springs, CO
http://www.jamieheath.com
Hi Abe, I think that in any city you will find a wide variety of homes and your concerns are valid. However Colorado Springs and Denver and distinctly different not only in pure size but also what is offered, available, look & feel and culturally. I think I would check in with what is really important to you in where you live and the community you live in and then get your Realtor to help you with getting the best property that meets your needs. You can use quite a bit of crime stats, etc. that are online for checking an area or a specific address.

Good luck in your move to Colorado!

Kelly Young
Red Rock Realty
719-226-0126
Jersey,
I would like to speak with you in person i need to know more about your needs so I can help you. If you could contact me by phone 719-660-7020 or coloradospringshomes@msn.com
Thank You! Donna Cibula
My price range can vary greatly. I would, most preferably, like to buy in cash w/o a mortgage and that would leave me budget somewhere a long the lines of 125K or less. If I do have to carry a mortgage then I would prefer not to go any higher then 200K.
What is your price range so I can tell you more? Contact coloradospringshomes@msn.com
Hi Abe - Something to consider since you are considering both Denver and the Springs - will you be commuting to one if you choose the other to live in? While the commute between the two is very do-able in good weather - during the winter months, excessive additional time can be added, and in extreme conditions the I25 highway can get closed.

If you do choose Denver to call home, there are definitely options in your price range available, but we should talk about what you are looking for and what is available.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Steve Scheer
720-849-6101
http://www.SteveScheer.com
http://www.Denver-RealEstateOnline.com
100 K in Denver is very low to get a good home. In Colorado Springs maybe, 130K would be better. Denver is a big city and Colorado Springs is a big town. Lots of differences. I recommend Colorado Springs for many reasons.

Chuck birger 719-761-3099
Web Reference: http://chuckbirger.com
Good Morning,
It would be my pleasure to mail you more information about the area. Please click on my picture and there is a contact me button. you can also follow me on twitter @jasonroshek.
Thank you
Hi again,
For relo info, please send me a quick email with contact info and how you wish to receive it (electronic or US Postal).

Marie@mariesweetland.com

Best to you,
Marie
Hi again,

Marie@mariesweetland.com

Best to you,
Marie
Abe-
You may want to research schools first then decide which city best suits your family's needs. I would HIGHLY recommend that you meet with a Realtor and his/her Lender and work as a team to make your move a positive one. Relocation moves can be difficult with lenders so start now with the discussions!
Kimberly Ryan
303-523-8333
Kim@BuyDenver.net
Good Afternoon,
Thank you all for your help. I would be very interested in seeing relocation packets from anyone who would like to show us around. My fiance and I plan on making a 1 week stay there sometime this year. We've heard great things, but coming from such a high priced area such as Jersey/NYC I am very suspicious.

Even 200K is a possibility, but since I will have to leave my current job to pursue my future life in CO I would prefer not to have any sought of mortgage since I most likely won't be approved due to the re-location.

Thank you.
There are also some excellent communities like Woodland Park, Manitou Springs, and Fountain, or even Monument that have opportunities in housing and good benefits of schools. I like the http://www.colorado.gov website. Click the education tab and that will also give you information about every school in the State of Colorado.
You can definitely find some deals on properties priced under $100,000; especially if you are willing to do some work to get them in good shape. You can check out the schools by going to http://www.greatschools.com; also; every school district in the Colorado Springs area has a web site. Here's the web site for District 11: http://www.d11.org/; District 49: http://www.d49.org/Pages/default.aspx. There are also web sites for District 20, District 12, and District 2.

Also, the Colorado Springs Police department has a great web site that shows you crime statistics, here's there web site: http://www.springsgov.com/sectionindex.aspx?sectionid=12.

Pricing between Colorado Springs and Denver typically is about 15% to 20% less.

Also, make sure and find a good Realtor who specializes in working with buyers; as they can provide you with even more information and tools to compare living in the two areas.
Hi Abe,
Cheaper properties can be found in varying conditions, and you should not be afraid ot fhem at all. But you should have someone in the area evaluate those properties to see if they will meet the needs of your family. Many agents provide excellent relocation services, and onsite evaluations are invaluable to help you evaluate your choices in any area. Colorado Springs offers some mass transit options in different areas, and is a larger city with the benefits of a small town feeling. Feel free to contact me for relocation and assistance in evaluating individual properties in the area.

Michele Hammerton
Keller Williams Hope Realty
12 E. Kiowa St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903