Kturner, Home Buyer in Mount Vernon, NY

I am looking to sell my home. What is the first thing I need to do?

Asked by Kturner, Mount Vernon, NY Wed Apr 3, 2013

Answers

11
Good morning Kturner,

While I'm not a real estate agent, I've been involved in this wonderful industry as a Mortgage Banker for 23 years, so I hope I can offer some useful advice. Also, I sold my own home for full price in 48 hours some years ago, so that might prove useful for you, too.

I think you should focus on three key areas:

1. Pricing: research on your own using Trulia.com what a potential market price for your home should be. Visit some open houses in your community today and tomorrow. Look at as many houses as possible. You want to see what your "competitors" homes offer in terms of: Price, condition/amenities, Location. Once you've completed your personal market research it's time for step 2...

2. Hiring: locate a FULL-TIME and EXPERIENCED Real estate salesperson in your community. Don't go by the Agent(s) who has the most "signs" on the lawns. Rather, get some referrals and begin the interview process. You'll want to meet in person with several of these agents before you make your "hiring" decision---that's when you'll sign the Listing Contract. Because you've done your market research, you'll quickly determine which agents are on the mark with regards to pricing your home. PRICING IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. Homes that don't sell fail MOSTLY because of poor pricing strategies. Often those pricing strategies are created in the initial interview with the Real estate salesperson on the listing presentation. Don't be fooled by glitzy presentation materials, charts, graphs and name-brand companies. Know your market price and be impressed instead by the professionalism of the agent. (FYI: I'd be happy to refer a most excellent agent. Contact me through my Trulia profile if you'd like that referral)

3. Presentation: I don't believe in the ridiculous concept of "staging" a home. But I do believe a home should be clean, free of clutter and "clear for showing" meaning a prospective Buyer should be able to walk through your home unimpeded by you, your furniture, your pets, your comic book collection. Provide easy access to real estate agents: scheduling appointments for showings shouldn't be as difficult as climbing Everest. And when there's an appointment for a showing, LEAVE the house (if only to stand outside or hop in your car and drive around the block). Buyers want to talk about your home without offending you, so get out of their way. I gave this advice to a friend of a client last year. She'd been trying to sell the home for months. She took this advice to heart and the home had several good Offers---and was SOLD---within a few weeks.

I hope that helps you!

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
185 Great Neck Rd, Suite 240
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a "Thumbs Up" or "Best Answer." Thanks!
Good Afternoon Mr. or Mrs. Turner,
Make sure your home is ready and prepared for showings. Do any last minute repairs, cosmetics work that will show your home that much better. Then interview several agents in the community to make sure they are active in the community. They should know the Bldg Dept, Local Attorneys, Appraisers etc...Make sure the agent is active in your community and they explain what they will provide for the commission they are requesteing. If any further questions or concerns please reach out to us anytime..Good Luck..its a great time to sell. Inverntory is moving quickly..
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 4, 2013
You have already taken the first step. You are prepared to sell. Next step is to make sure your home is ready for sale. Before interviewing Realtors make sure the home is prepared for those Realtors so they can do a proper analysis on your home. There are many questions to ask a Realtor. If you would like these questions you can call me or visit my website getegen.com

Egen Warner
1-914-424-7231
Egenwarner@gmail.com
Web Reference: Http://getegen.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 4, 2013
You can make sure the property will show well to potential buyers; it should be sparkling neat, clean, clutter free, fresh paint if necessary, remove/replace any old carpeting, de-personalize, etc.; also contact and interview in person a few local agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best and who has the most to offer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 3, 2013
Hi Mr. KTurner,

In addition to Mr. Curran's excellent advice. I believe in the technology developed to help keep the buyers informed of all showings. Several RE companies use appointment services (Example CSS, ShowingDesk etc...) In order to set-up appointments and request a written request from every agent that showed your home for feedback. You receive feedback via e-mail and get the opportunity to see how much traffic and what buyers are looking for (whether positive or negative feedback). This will enable you to make a better presentation of your house for the next showing. You are also enabled to login to this appointment service and create reports for your review. Best of all it makes sure that if another agent's feedback says that their client is going to submit an offer, you can contact your agent to follow-up and know that all offers are truly being presented to you.

Maribel Garcia
NYS Lic. Real Estate Agent
Century 21 Marciano
914-441-0504
Hi...

First thing is you should interview a few agents and choose the one you feel will do the best job. In that being said, I would like to apply for the job! I would like the opportunity to partner with you in your desire to sell your home. Please give me a call to further discuss, 914-774-2764

Thanking you in advance for your attention to this matter.

AnneMarie
Century 21 Schneider

http http://:www.annemariecentury21.listingbook.com
Find a good Realtor in your immediate area. One that knows your neighborhood and can answer all of your questions.
I know some investors currently purchasing homes in Westchester County. They offer quick cash turnovers. Feel free to give me call at 914-595-2634 to discuss it further.
Hi, I am a local Realtor and would be happy to stop by and appraise your property. Feel free to reach out to me on my cell @ 914-441-0504.
Maribel Garcia
Finder that is familiar with the area and him price it and make staging and possible other reccomandations.

Bob
Hi, you basically need to meet with an agent and they can discuss the process with you. I always do a comparative market analysis and bring it with me so you know what other homes are selling for in your area. Please feel free to call me on 914 406 9023 if you would like to discuss this further.

Chris